Xcode 15 can't install iOS 17 platform simulator

I installed Xcode 15 and on first openning it auto downloaded iOS 17 simulator but failed to install. The error info is :

Failed to copy file /Users/kelanjiang/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.Xcode/Downloads/com.apple.dmg.iPhoneSimulatorSDK17_0-17.0.0.0.dmg to /Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Images/Inbox/43457D23-59DB-496A-B682-85D8F92F4FC7.dmg.copying
Domain: SimDiskImageErrorDomain
Code: 6
User Info: {
    DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2023-09-25 10:26:12 +0000";
    unusableErrorDetail = "Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 \"No such file or directory\" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to copy file /Users/kelanjiang/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.Xcode/Downloads/com.apple.dmg.iPhoneSimulatorSDK17_0-17.0.0.0.dmg to /Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Images/Inbox/43457D23-59DB-496A-B682-85D8F92F4FC7.dmg.copying}";
}
--

System Information

macOS Version 13.6 (Build 22G120)
Xcode 15.0 (22265) (Build 15A240d)
Timestamp: 2023-09-25T18:26:12+08:00

The sreenshot is like:

I tried to reinstall Xcode and clean some cache files but still have the same issue and same appearence in this setting page.

Any advises would be helpful

Update the screenshot.

Also running into this, I have a handful of other weird things too like when I go to uninstall listed runtimes I get:

❯ xcrun simctl runtime delete 21J353 An error was encountered processing the command (domain=com.apple.CoreSimulator.simdiskimaged.SimDiskImageError, code=18): Cannot stage disk image or bundle for delete: 4A9A3A5B-03C2-4A4F-AF9B-A237B7A500BE Underlying error (domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain, code=4): “4A9A3A5B-03C2-4A4F-AF9B-A237B7A500BE.dmg” couldn’t be moved to “NSIRD_simdiskimaged_rClQ89” because either the former doesn’t exist, or the folder containing the latter doesn’t exist. The file doesn’t exist.

Almost feels like my CoreSimulator directories got corrupted and now I can't recover.

I had exact the same problem after updating macOS to Sonoma. After searching through the whole internet I could find only this thread and some not very similar issues with Xcode 15 release candidates or beta. This got me thinking, maybe if I install Xcode 15 beta this would at least count as fresh? When I opened the page with all downloads including Xcode beta I realised that the list includes simulator runtimes as well. There's even the beta version of each as well. So wait a minute, maybe I can download it manually and install it a different way? And there it is, after I expand the description I found:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/installing-additional-simulator-runtimes

xcodebuild -downloadPlatform iOS just starts downloading it inside xcode, so the result is the same

I downloaded the runtime file of iOS 17 beta and tried:

xcrun simctl runtime add ~/Downloads/iOS_17.0.1_Simulator_Runtime.dmg

Now I get the copy error in my terminal. I got ****** and I run: (this requires Full Disk Access for terminal app)

sudo rm -rf /Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Images/Inbox
sudo mkdir Inbox

and to my surprise ... IT WORKED! Well....it got installed. However I couldn't create any simulator with this iOS. But after removing all runtimes, downloading normal iOS 17 runtime file and installing it in terminal - voila! I can now run the iPhone 15 simulator 🙂

Good luck guys!

I have the same question, have you solved it?

Check if you have enough space in your system

Xcode 15 can't install iOS 17 platform simulator

Q