Xcode 15 B/BL out of range Error During Build

Hi, we've getting error when we are building our app with Xcode 15 beta versions and Xcode 15.0 public release.

ld: B/BL out of range 156662596 (max +/-128MB) to ''

To fix this just add -ld64 to Other Linker Flags in Target.

Interesting.

Each CPU architecture has its own limits as to how far you can branch, but those limits should apply to both the old and new linker. Some questions:

• How big was this Mach-O previously? If it was previously huge, it’s possible that some small change in the linker just happened to push you over the edge.

• Have you enable the mergeable library feature, described in WWDC 2023 Session 10268 Meet mergeable libraries? Because it’s easy to see how that’d push you over the edge.

• You haven’t mistakenly enabled -no_branch_islands, have you? Branch islands are the standard way for the linker to get around the CPU architecture’s branch distance limit; disabling them can easily produce problems like this.

To fix this just add -ld64 to Other Linker Flags in Target.

That’s a temporary workaround, not a solution. As mentioned in the release notes, the old linker implementation will go away at some point. It’s important to investigate this now, because if it is a problem with the linker itself you want that fixed before the old implementation goes away.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

We're building successfully with Xcode 14.3.1.

Additionally Xcode 15.0 is successful for simulator builds. Any iOS Device (arm64) or real device builds are failing with that error.

There is an entry on stackoverflow about flutter app, but mine is not a flutter app.

here

About questions;

• How can i measure Mach-O
  • Enabled mergeable library but worked for error
  • no_branch_islands is not modified, it is disabled.

Thanks

How can i measure Mach-O

You find links to various tools in An Apple Library Primer.

Enabled mergeable library but worked for error

I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you mean by this.

Share and Enjoy

Sorry for missing word;

We've enabled mergeable library but "not" solved error

Our executable Mach-O file size is about 420 MB for ARM64 architecture. Is this a limit for new -ld_prime?

Our executable Mach-O file size is about 420 MB for ARM64 architecture.

That’s pretty big for a single Mach-O, but that’s kinda what branch islands are for (-:

Is this a limit for new -ld_prime?

I don’t know. But, given that this worked with -ld64, I’d say this error warrants a bug report. For hints and tips on tips on how to file an actionable bug here, see this post and the other posts on that thread.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Greetings,

I wanted to drop a reply here to say we're seeing a similar issue with our Unity (2022.3.11f1) builds. These builds were previously functional before our upgrade to macOS Sonoma and Xcode 15. Since the upgrade, we are now receiving the following:

ld: B/BL out of range 144489060 (max +/-128MB) to '__ZN3Geo8GeoArrayIPKN9Enlighten13MaterialGuids12InstanceInfoEE11SetCapacityEi'

It does appear that adding -ld64 to the Unity target and Framework target allows it to build.

We are concerned about the longevity of this workaround.

Best regards

We are concerned about the longevity of this workaround.

As you should be. I recommend that you file a bug about this. See this post for specific advice about how to file bugs related to ld_prime.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Oh, before you do that, make sure you test with the current Xcode 15.1 beta seed. It contains many fixes, although I’ve no specific info to suggest that it has a fix for this.

Share and Enjoy

Xcode 15 B/BL out of range Error During Build

Q