Why dlopen failed on some macOS

Hi All:
I use dlopen to load a dylib on macOS, It woks fine. Recently, I received one customer report bug, After checked the log, I found that dlopen failed on customer's environment(macOS 13.5.2 22G91) as below

load xxxx failed: dlopen(/***/yyy/zzz.dylib, 0x0001): tried: '/***/yyy/zzz.dylib' (no such file), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/***/yyy/zzz.dylib' (no such file), '/***/yyy/zzz.dylib' (no such file)

• I use full file path to dlopen dylib, and the file is located at there
  • I checked dylib signature, notarization, dependency frameworks, all are valid
  • I got copy and replace customer's dylib into myself environment, It woks fine
  • Customer tried several mac computers, others do not have this problem

I am confused about this issue and do not know how to investigate further. Any comments is appreciated.

Did you check whether your customer has restarted the affected Mac?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I have a similar problem.

OSX Version 13.5.2 (22G91)

For some reason this version is not able to open framework libs using the standard path, see this code:

#include <stdio.h> #include <dlfcn.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {

printf("hallo\n");

void *handle1 = dlopen("CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation", RTLD_NOW); printf("REL CoreFoundation.framework %lx\n", (long) handle1); printf("##### dlerror=%s\n",dlerror());

void *handle2 = dlopen("/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation", RTLD_NOW); printf("ABS CoreAudio.framework %lx\n", (long) handle2); printf("##### dlerror=%s\n",dlerror()); }

hallo REL CoreFoundation.framework 0

dlerror=dlopen(CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation, 0x0002): tried: 'CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation' (no such file), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OSCoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation' (no such file), '/usr/lib/CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation' (no such file, not in dyld cache), 'CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation' (no such file)

ABS CoreAudio.framework 49f8aebe8

dlerror=(null)

Why is this?

This issue isn’t really the same as yangyang_2020’s, because you can reproduce it all the time and their issue only happens on small subset of Macs. Please start a new thread for your issue. Tag it with Linker so that I see it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

It is the same issue.

Because the problem started with an upgrade to

OSX Version 13.5.2 (22G91)

Before that, the application did run fine.

So I guess the default search path was changed in that release.

Regards dennis

I am also having similar issue, I packaged my app based of kivy and python and running in xcode. here is the error:

Got dlopen error on Foundation: dlopen(/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/Current/Foundation, 0x0001): tried: '/Users/jahna/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/villagers_goods-bmgxikubanqmwuhetawxtarwzhzu/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/Foundation.framework/Versions/Current/Foundation' (no such file),

Why dlopen failed on some macOS

Q