Use the terminal to compile applications using xcode that is no longer supported on the desktop

You can still use some xcode that is no longer supported on the desktop through the terminal.

For example, my mocOS is 14.0, I installed xcode14 and xcode15 in /Applications, but xcode14 is no longer supported on the desktop. /Applications/Xcode_14.0.app # not supported /Applications/Xcode_15.0.app

Switch to xcode14 and use xcodebuild: export DEVELOPER_DIR=/Applications/Xcode_14.0.app xcodebuild -version # work well

I want to know if there is any problem with this approach? What does the Xcode development team think of this approach? Is there any relevant documentation that I can know about?

I want to know if there is any problem with this approach?

Yes. This technique is unsupported because the only version of Xcode that Apple qualified on macOS 14 is Xcode 15.

Sometimes unsupported things work, sometimes they fail horribly, and sometimes they fail in subtle ways that lure you into a false sense of security.

Don’t use unsupported configurations.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Use the terminal to compile applications using xcode that is no longer supported on the desktop

Q