What determines in iOS 17 if an iMessage app shows up under Apps or Stickers?

In iOS 17 iMessage apps are split up between "Stickers" apps and "Messages" apps. Problem is you might want to make a sophisticated Messages app that is basically just a "stickers" app.

What magic incantation do I have to perform to make my Messages app appear under Stickers?

Answered by Molanda in 769359022

I’m trying to figure this out as well. My Messages extension is bundled with my main app and shows up when the More button is pressed.

This developer doc seems to suggest all I need to do is add a new Info.plist entry to appear in the Stickers context.

I added…

MSSupportedPresentationContexts
- MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMessages
- MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMedia

However, the extension still only appears in the Messages app and not in the keyboard based Stickers app.

I’m using a MSMessagesAppViewController but I think that’s fine.

If I figure it out I’ll let you know.

Accepted Answer

I’m trying to figure this out as well. My Messages extension is bundled with my main app and shows up when the More button is pressed.

This developer doc seems to suggest all I need to do is add a new Info.plist entry to appear in the Stickers context.

I added…

MSSupportedPresentationContexts
- MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMessages
- MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMedia

However, the extension still only appears in the Messages app and not in the keyboard based Stickers app.

I’m using a MSMessagesAppViewController but I think that’s fine.

If I figure it out I’ll let you know.

I fixed a typo in my Info.plist entry and now it works. Here is the actual entry I used...

<key>MSSupportedPresentationContexts</key>
<array>
    <string>MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMessages</string>
    <string>MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMedia</string>
</array>

Now my extension appears in the Sticker context and is available in other apps.

What determines in iOS 17 if an iMessage app shows up under Apps or Stickers?

Q