What determines in iOS 17 if an iMessage app shows up under Apps or Stickers?

In iOS 17 iMessage apps are split up between "Stickers" apps and "Messages" apps. Problem is you might want to make a sophisticated Messages app that is basically just a "stickers" app.

What magic incantation do I have to perform to make my Messages app appear under Stickers?

Accepted Reply

I’m trying to figure this out as well. My Messages extension is bundled with my main app and shows up when the More button is pressed.

This developer doc seems to suggest all I need to do is add a new Info.plist entry to appear in the Stickers context.

I added…

MSSupportedPresentationContexts
- MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMessages
- MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMedia

However, the extension still only appears in the Messages app and not in the keyboard based Stickers app.

I’m using a MSMessagesAppViewController but I think that’s fine.

If I figure it out I’ll let you know.

• Sorry for the delay—apparently you don't automatically get subscribed to your own threads…

I tried adding this and it immediately moved into Stickers! I'm also using MSMessagesAppViewController. Insanely poor documentation on this one if anyone on the docs team sees this and can elaborate on what the difference between these contexts are! There is literally nothing on Google.

Add a Comment

Replies

I’m trying to figure this out as well. My Messages extension is bundled with my main app and shows up when the More button is pressed.

This developer doc seems to suggest all I need to do is add a new Info.plist entry to appear in the Stickers context.

I added…

MSSupportedPresentationContexts
- MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMessages
- MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMedia

However, the extension still only appears in the Messages app and not in the keyboard based Stickers app.

I’m using a MSMessagesAppViewController but I think that’s fine.

If I figure it out I’ll let you know.

• Sorry for the delay—apparently you don't automatically get subscribed to your own threads…

I tried adding this and it immediately moved into Stickers! I'm also using MSMessagesAppViewController. Insanely poor documentation on this one if anyone on the docs team sees this and can elaborate on what the difference between these contexts are! There is literally nothing on Google.

Add a Comment

I fixed a typo in my Info.plist entry and now it works. Here is the actual entry I used...

<key>MSSupportedPresentationContexts</key>
<array>
    <string>MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMessages</string>
    <string>MSMessagesAppPresentationContextMedia</string>
</array>

Now my extension appears in the Sticker context and is available in other apps.