Collecting profiling data for later analysis in Instruments

I would like to be able to collect profiling data on a physical device, say when I am going for a run, and later analyze that data using instruments.

Is there a way to do that?

Answered by Developer Tools Engineer in 769166022

Hello! You can install a profile onto your device that will enable you to record traces of up to 30 seconds without having to be connected to Instruments on a Mac. To install this profile, visit https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/ and search for “Performance Trace for iOS.” The “Instructions” PDF will explain how to install and use the profile to collect data.

As an alternative, you could do your run within WiFi range of your Mac running Instruments, and use the wireless profiling feature to at least avoid having a cable connecting your device to your Mac. (I recognize this may sound a bit silly but I wanted to mention it for completeness).

If neither of those solutions work for your use case, please file a report in Feedback Assistant with some more details about what you want to do so we can prioritize it internally.

Accepted Answer

Hello! You can install a profile onto your device that will enable you to record traces of up to 30 seconds without having to be connected to Instruments on a Mac. To install this profile, visit https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/ and search for “Performance Trace for iOS.” The “Instructions” PDF will explain how to install and use the profile to collect data.

As an alternative, you could do your run within WiFi range of your Mac running Instruments, and use the wireless profiling feature to at least avoid having a cable connecting your device to your Mac. (I recognize this may sound a bit silly but I wanted to mention it for completeness).

If neither of those solutions work for your use case, please file a report in Feedback Assistant with some more details about what you want to do so we can prioritize it internally.

Collecting profiling data for later analysis in Instruments

Q