Invalid use of branch fixup with Xcode 15

Hello!

I originally mentioned this issue here and was advised to start a new thread and tag it with Linker, so I did.

The problem is that when using Xcode 15 to build my code, I'm getting this link error:

Currently this issue is preventing us to move to using Xcode 15. Xcode 14.3 can build our code correctly.

So far our investigation brought us to either disable LTO for our project (which is not good, as our codebase heavily relies on interprocedural optimizations offered by the LTO), or to add flags -Wl,-ld_classic -Wl,-mllvm,-opaque-pointers to our linker. We currently opted for the second option for mac builds, while iOS builds don't recognize -ld_classic flag.

However, since the classic LD64 is scheduled to be removed in a future update, we will need to find a more permanent solution.

The build issue affects both Mac and iOS builds.

Xcode 15 has a new linker implementation, known as ld_prime [1]. If you’re seeing problems with ld_prime that are fixed by you temporarily reverting to ld64, I recommend that you file a bug with the details. See this post for specific advice about how to file bugs related to ld_prime.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] For more of the backstory here, see An Apple Library Primer.

Reported as FB13302674.

Invalid use of branch fixup with Xcode 15

Q