WKWebView: Failed to acquire RBS assertion 'WebKit Media Playback'

Hi there!

I'm new to App Development and I'm running into the following error when playing audio on a website loaded through a WKWebView:

0x112000cc0 - ProcessAssertion::acquireSync Failed to acquire RBS assertion 'WebKit Media Playback' for process with PID=70.197, error: Error Domain=RBSServiceErrorDomain Code=1 "(originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit AND originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.multitasking.systemappassertions)" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=(originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit AND originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.multitasking.systemappassertions)}

Looking through this forum, it seems more people have this issue, yet no one has found a solution (or posted it...). The solutions that I did find (Background Modes capability, webView.configuration.allowsInlineMediaPlayback = true), did nothing.

To make sure the issue had nothing to do with my own code, I created an empty project to reproduce the issue. I'm not sure on the best way to share it, but it's a small file (forgive me, I have no clue what it does, actually chatGPT made it for me. My real application is a WebApp wrapped with Capacitor, so it handles all the Swift stuff)

import SwiftUI
import WebKit

struct WebView: UIViewRepresentable {
    let urlString: String

func makeUIView(context: Context) -> WKWebView {
        let webView = WKWebView()
        webView.configuration.allowsInlineMediaPlayback = true
        webView.configuration.allowsAirPlayForMediaPlayback = true
        webView.navigationDelegate = context.coordinator
        return webView
    }

func updateUIView(_ uiView: WKWebView, context: Context) {
        if let url = URL(string: urlString) {
            let request = URLRequest(url: url)
            uiView.load(request)
        }
    }

func makeCoordinator() -> Coordinator {
        Coordinator(self)
    }

class Coordinator: NSObject, WKNavigationDelegate {
        var parent: WebView

init(_ parent: WebView) {
            self.parent = parent
        }

func webView(_ webView: WKWebView, didFailProvisionalNavigation navigation: WKNavigation!, withError error: Error) {
            print("Web page loading failed: \(error.localizedDescription)")
        }
    }
}

struct WebViewDemo: View {
    var body: some View {
        NavigationView {
            WebView(urlString: "https://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml5_audio_all")
                .navigationBarTitle("Web View")
        }
    }
}

struct WebView_Previews: PreviewProvider {
    static var previews: some View {
        WebViewDemo()
    }
}

Nothing special, right?

When I build the app and navigate to a website that has an <audio> tag (https://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml5_audio_all). I still see the error when I play the audio.

It plays nonetheless, but the error is there. I'm not at all interested in actually playing audio in the background/when the app is closed/suspended. I just want the error to go away!

I've tried different iOS versions (14,15,16,17), but the problem persists.

Anyone know what's happening?

Have you checked you don't need a Privacy Music Usage Description in Info.plist ?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/skcloudservicecontroller/requesting_access_to_apple_music_library

do you solve it,I encountered the same problem

Same problem here.

WKWebView: Failed to acquire RBS assertion 'WebKit Media Playback'

Q