Monterey and Ventura update brick Macbook when ProMotion disabled

Hi,

I would like that someone can confirm that 12.7 to 12.7.1 or 13.6 to 13.6.1 update bricks (black screen on boot, no booting into Recovery) you Macbook Pro with ProMotion display.

How to replicate:

Be on 12.7 or 13.6 and disable ProMotion (Set it to 60Hz for example) and try to update.

I had it done three time with disabled and always bricked Macbook M1 MAX 16" (12.6.x to 12.7 and 13.5.x to 13.6 and also 13.6 to 13.6.1) and done it once with ProMotion enabled on same Mac without a problem (13.6 clean install, so no changes made to prefs, to 13.6.1)

Please report

best L

• also restart of Macbook of 13.6.1 with disabled ProMotion would brick it !!! (the same would go for 12.7, 12.7.1, 13.6 ... Has not tried with Sonoma yet but could be the same !!!

Add a Comment

Replies

Yep, I had the exact same issue : I disabled ProMotion on my M1 pro (MBP 16 inches, 2021 model), I updated from 12.7 to 12.7.1 and voila : my MBP is bricked. I've got an apointment today with an Apple Store tech. I hope they will revive it without restoring it (I did not save the last month of work - pretty dumb I know). Did you manage to revive it ?

I have the same issue. I turned off pro-motion to avoid the windowserver memory leak. I applied the latest ventura uprade and now my laptop is essentially bricked. I see the apple logo, or startup options if I hold the power key, but in all instances the screen goes blank and the mac becomes unresponsive. I can't see it on my network and attempting to login in 'blind' doesn't work either.

I've scheduled a support call for tomorrow am and a 'genuis' bar visit also and I'll update the thread.

I ended up using another mac and dfu mode. Reviving did not work, so I ended up restoring (erase+install).

linkText

Had the same thing happen and revived successfully with a Sonoma Mac putting the "bricked" Mac into DFU and doing the Revive following the instructions here:

https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-configurator-mac/revive-or-restore-a-mac-with-apple-silicon-apdd5f3c75ad/mac

When you're done, be sure to set the Refresh for your Mac display back to ProMotion!!!

My Mac: Apple M1 Pro 14" 2021 O/S Ventura 13.6