Background Tasks

Hello All,

I have been having issues scheduling background tasks in iOS and was wondering if there is a repository of information for that type of task.

Essentially, I just need to run a function (lets call it customFunction(), and it currently is a blank function that doesn't do anything, for testing purposes) once in a while (e.g., every 5min or so... it doesn't have to be precisely at 5min. The system can decide when to run it.)

I am using the BackgroundTasks framework.

The background task is being scheduled without a problem, but it's being denied execution by the system.

bgRefresh-com.testing.scheduler:EECE08:[
	{name: ApplicationPolicy, policyWeight: 50.000, response: {Decision: Can Proceed, Score: 0.35}}
	{name: DeviceActivityPolicy, policyWeight: 5.000, response: {Decision: Can Proceed, Score: 0.33}}
 ] sumScores:61.706667, denominator:97.540000, FinalDecision: Can Proceed FinalScore: 0.632629}

'bgRefresh-com.testing.scheduler:EECE08' CurrentScore: 0.632629, ThresholdScore: 0.805854 DecisionToRun:0

Does anyone have any feedback on the most important items to check when scheduling a background task?

I can share code, if necessary.

Replies

wondering if there is a repository of information for that type of task.

A good place to look is the various ‘resources’ posts that are pinned to many of our tag pages. In this case, the Background Tasks tag page has Background Tasks Resources pinned to it. That, in turn, links to iOS Background Execution Limits, which explains the limit you’re bumping into.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"