BGAppRefreshTask behavior when user disables Background App Refresh

Hello community,

I am looking for information about how BGAppRefreshTasks behave in case a user has disabled the Background App Refresh for my app in the Settings app.

Does disabling Background App Refresh for my app means, that my registered and schedules tasks will never run or will the system execute scheduled tasks when the app is in the foreground and has priority on system resources?

My app is dependent on the data downloaded with an BGAppRefreshTask and I want to know if I have to implement alternative ways to download data, for example when the scene phase changes, if users restrict my app.

Thanks for any information about this topic in advance!

Answered by DTS Engineer in 771773022

Disabling background app refresh, either for your app or globally, does just what it says on the tin: It prevents your app from receiving background app refresh via either BGAppRefreshTaskRequest or the legacy mechanism.

Having said that, background app refresh is not as useful as many folks think it is. See iOS Background Execution Limits and the other docs, especially the Background execution demystified WWDC session, linked to from Background Tasks Resources.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Accepted Answer

Disabling background app refresh, either for your app or globally, does just what it says on the tin: It prevents your app from receiving background app refresh via either BGAppRefreshTaskRequest or the legacy mechanism.

Having said that, background app refresh is not as useful as many folks think it is. See iOS Background Execution Limits and the other docs, especially the Background execution demystified WWDC session, linked to from Background Tasks Resources.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

BGAppRefreshTask behavior when user disables Background App Refresh

Q