Instruments in XCode 15.0.1 does not support CPU counters in A16(iPhone 14 Pro Max) with iOS 17.1?

Instruments in XCode 14 used to support CPU counters in A16 with iOS 16.x, but after I upgrade iOS to 17.1 and also XCode to 15.0.1, In "CPU Counters", it says "CPU Name: Unsupported" and thus I cannot choose "Sample by" events etc.

Found some link on this:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/77344529/is-latest-instruments-not-support-a17-pro-for-cpu-counters

Please help to confirm this is some known issue, and if so, how to fix it.

Thanks!

Replies

The CPU Counters instrument should be able to identify the CPUs of all public Apple hardware. The information for the A17 processors (which the SO question talks about) is available starting in iOS 17.1. Given that you are targeting an older processor (A16) and are already using iOS 17.1, this should work. Can you please file a feedback specifying the device model of the iPhone you are using, as well as the iOS version, and the macOS and Xcode version you are using on the host Mac?

• I am using iPhone15Pro(A17) with iOS17.2.1, MacOS 14.2.1 and Xcode 15.2, I also meet the CPU unsupported issue when try to capture CPU counters and cannot add events. Is there any solution for capture cpu counters on A17?

• As far as I see, plist files for all public Apple hardware are released at /usr/share/kpep in iOS 17.4. However, the kperfdata.framework on iOS still uses the old paths /usr/local/share/kpep or /Developer/usr/share/kpep to locate the database. When checking the syslog of an iPhone 15 Pro running iOS 17.4 through the Console app, a log stating ‘Unable to create KPEP database: 7’ from the process DTServiceHub is found. I hope this issue can be addressed and fixed.

• As far as I see, plist files for all public Apple hardware are released at /usr/share/kpep in iOS 17.4. However, the kperfdata.framework on iOS still uses the old paths /usr/local/share/kpep or /Developer/usr/share/kpep to locate the database. When checking the syslog of an iPhone 15 Pro running iOS 17.4 through the Console app, a log stating ‘Unable to create KPEP database: 7’ from the process DTServiceHub is found.

Add a Comment

Apple Team, I am also seeing the same issue. Is there any way to fix this?