Retrieving user's chosen name in Sign In with Apple

Hi, I'm developing an app that supports sign-in with Apple. From the documentation, it seems that the name provided during registration with Apple Sign In isn't saved by Apple and isn't accessible later on. However, in the event of a server issue during registration, how should I manage the flow? In my opinion, it should be possible to retrieve the chosen name later or programmatically cancel the association of the user's Apple ID from the app to restart the registration process. What are your thoughts?

Hi NicoTF,

You wrote:

The expectation is documented on Authenticating users with Sign in with Apple (emphasis, in bold, mine):

Send information to app servers and verify tokens

Ensure that your app relays the credentials and user information to your app servers. The API collects this information and shares it with your app the first time the user logs in using Sign in with Apple. If the user then uses Sign in with Apple on another device, the API doesn’t ask for the user’s name or email again. It collects the information again only if the user stops using Sign in with Apple and later reconnects to your app.

Although Apple provides the user’s email address in the identity token on all subsequent API responses, it doesn’t include other information about the user, such as their name. When you receive user information from the API response, immediately store it locally so your app can access it again in the event of a process or network failure.

Your app servers verify the validity of the token credentials with Apple ID servers. For more information, see Verifying a user.

It is up to the developer to decide how to properly store this user information on-disk.

Cheers,

Paris

Retrieving user's chosen name in Sign In with Apple

Q