Xcode 14.2 Running Extremely Slow

I am currently trying to run Xcode 14.2 on my Imac late 2015 (8Gb RAM, 3.1 GHz Quad core i5, 1TB 5400 Sata disk) however the program runs extremely slowly when simulating the projects I'm working on or the simulator fails to boot at all.

In addition to this, often Xcode will randomly stop responding when I open the app or while I'm working through something.

There seems to be no stress on the memory as it stays within green on the activity monitor scale, and the CPU never dips below 80% idle, my one thought is the hard drive is failing as it peaks at 20mb/ read/write speed, and it takes ages to open any app on my Imac.

For context while I am running Xcode the only apps open are Xcode, safari and activity monitor.

Would the best way forward be to move my boot drive onto a external SSD to try and resolve this? Any advice would be greatly received, thanks

The 8 GB of RAM and a 5400 rpm hard drive are not good specs for running Xcode.

I have a similar model of iMac with 16 GB of RAM and Xcode on an external SSD, and Xcode 14.2 runs decently. It's not blazing fast, but it's not painfully slow either.

If your iMac is a 27 inch model, you can add RAM to it. Doing that and moving your boot drive to an external SSD will improve things.

Xcode 14.2 Running Extremely Slow

Q