Launchctl agent errors

I am trying to automate a backup terminal script to mirror some directories to my NAS. The terminal script is working fine, so I want to automate them. The recommended path uses the launchctl agent, which, from the description, should be what I need. However, I have been running into two errors and looking for answers.

I am using a M1 Mac mini with 8GB of memory (for reference).

First, I get an error 23, which means too many files are open. If I reboot the machine, this error goes away. But why am I getting this message? I can run the script manually without a problem, and the system is running fine. The machine does little, so it should have almost nothing open.

The second error, once the 23 is cleared, is error 12, cannot allocate memory. The machine is an 8GB machine but is reporting 3GB free. Again, the script runs fine in the terminal.

I suspect the problem is the agent, but I am unsure how to diagnose or resolve these issues. I do not want to reboot the machine to run the backup, and so is the agent running under some system constraints that are too limiting. Can I change those limits for the job and make the recommended process to automate work?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

What language is this script written in?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

It is user a terminal script (bin/sh). I am using the rsync command to mirror files between two computers