iPad internal GPS receiver channels

Hi everyone,

I'm working for an aircraft operator as an engineer. Our pilots use iPads for their operations and different applications on it. One of the application (Jeppesen FliteDeck Pro X) is using a feature that uses the GPS of the iPad (we use iPad 9th Wifi+Cellular). In order to prove that the application is reliable for operations, we need to prove to the Authorities that the GPS of the iPad can receive more than 12 channels from satellites. Does it exist a way to know approximately how many channels an iPad can receive? Or does a statement exist from Apple? We know that it is capable of, but we need to be able to prove it.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your support.

Paul

Replies

In order to prove that the application is reliable for operations,

An iPad is not sufficiently reliable for use on a commercial aircraft. As a map app developer, I would not fly with an airline if I knew they were relying on iPads and apps like mine for essential functions.

By all means use an iPad to store PDF documents in a format that is more convenient for the pilot than paper ones - but also keep the paper ones onboard if they are essential for safe operations, in case the iPad fails. By all means use the GPS on the iPad to, for example, call up the right chart - but do not rely on the iPad GPS for safe navigation. And regularly practice flying without the iPad during training.

You should contact Jeppesen about this. They will no doubt have a very good understanding of the issues involved.

The iPad is not intended to be used for navigation. We would like to use the feature offered by the Jeppesen application for situational awareness. The primary source for navigation will remain the avionic GPS.

I already had contact with Jeppesen regarding this issue and they cannot help us prove that the iPad GPS chip has more than 12 channels. Neither Apple can give us information on this matter.

We are blocked for getting an approval that only be used for situational awareness. Maybe someone knows an application that could give us how many satellites the iPad is communicating with.