Extremely slow compilation and build times in terminal

Hi, I'm having problems with extremely build and compilation of software in the command line and I'm not sure why. I'm currently using macOS Sonoma 14.3 on my 2020 MacBook Air 1.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5. I also have the latest version of Xcode installed.

Although I've been experiencing extreme delays in the command line for a while, the problem really became noticeable after I updated my OS to Sonoma. It meant that all the software I had installed via command line that I regularly use became outdated and now I cannot build it again. I've spoken in depth with the authors of the software and they have tried on a system identical to mine and have a build time of 30 minutes, but my machine takes over 3 hours on the same software. I've uninstalled and reinstalled command line tools several times but nothing seems to work. Also when I build I use the command make -j7 to use 7/8 cores so the problem isn't that I'm making full use of my CPU either. I've spoken to Apple support who recommended I try in Safe Mode and using a different user to rule out background software that opens on start up and decreases performance, as well as to rule out the setup on my main user. I'm just not sure what to do anymore as I've been trying for days and to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. It may be irrelevant, but since Sonoma I've also been experiencing a lot of issues with clang and also SDK pathways.