Journaling Suggestions API in App Playgrounds

Hello, is the new Journaling Suggestions API available in App Playgrounds (made using Xcode)?

I know I can add capabilities in Xcode, but it seems that the Journaling Suggestions capability isn't available. I assume this API is currently unsupported in App Playgrounds?

Accepted Reply

I assume this API is currently unsupported in App Playgrounds?

Looks like it )-: You should definitely file a bug requesting that we add it.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks! I'll file a bug later and post it here. In any case, I realised that even if it were available, this wouldn't work for a Swift Student Challenge app made with Xcode as the Journaling Suggestions API only works on physical devices - on Mac Catalyst / Simulator they are ignored. Perhaps it could've worked for an iPad app with Swift Playgrounds.

Add a Comment

Replies

I assume this API is currently unsupported in App Playgrounds?

Looks like it )-: You should definitely file a bug requesting that we add it.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

• Thanks! I'll file a bug later and post it here. In any case, I realised that even if it were available, this wouldn't work for a Swift Student Challenge app made with Xcode as the Journaling Suggestions API only works on physical devices - on Mac Catalyst / Simulator they are ignored. Perhaps it could've worked for an iPad app with Swift Playgrounds.

Add a Comment

Thanks again for your response! I submitted FB13566397.

I submitted FB13566397.

Thanks.

Journaling Suggestions API only works on physical devices

Oh, yeah, forgot about that.

There’s actually another wrinkle here, namely that Journaling Suggestions is one of the few APIs that’s present on iOS but not iPadOS (r. 121326851).

Note that this isn’t that the API is present but disabled. Rather, the entire framework is MIA. If you create an app that uses the API, even for something as simple as this:

print(JournalingSuggestion.self)

and run it on your iPad, it’ll fail to launch because the framework is not present:

dyld[567]: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/JournalingSuggestions.framework/JournalingSuggestions

)-:

[I tested this with Xcode 15.2 on macOS 14.2.1 targeting iPadOS 17.3.]

There are ways around this if you’re building an app using Xcode, but it presents a challenge for folks working with playgrounds.

Share and Enjoy

• Makes sense now, thanks!

Add a Comment