FindMy Network broken – urgent test & fix needed!

We have noticed that iPhones using iOS17.x are not contributing to Apple's FindMy network anymore.

These devices usually send report packages to Apple's server about devices they "see" around them (BLE).

The problem / bug is HARD to find, because there are still lots of iPhones with iOS16.x out. But more and more of them get switched off or updated: the FindMy network getting weaker and weaker every day!

Here is how to recreate the issue:

1. This procedure needs to be done in a "remote" environment, no other Apple iPhones or iPads being in bluetooth distance!
  2. Get an iPhone with iOS16.x installed, enable bluetooth, ensure internet access.
  3. Get an AirTag registered to someone else, she / he being away at least 200 m (the AirTag must be in "lost" mode). She / he watching his phone (FindMy) having internet.
  4. Get an iPhone with iOS17.x installed, disable bluetooth, ensure internet access.
  5. Put both phones right beside the friends AirTag.
  6. Let your friend WhatsApp you whenever the status of his AirTag gets updated. This will happen every couple of minutes.
  7. Turn off bluetooth on iOS16, turn on bluetooth on iOS17.
  8. You will no longer get messages from your friend because the status of his AirTag will not update. For hours. For days. Until you enable bluetooth on your iOS16 phone again.

Conclusion:

• iOS17.x don't not send report packages at all or
  • report packages from iOS17.x devices are not stored correctly on server or
  • server does not send out reports originating from iOS17.x when requested by FindMy app

If you can recreate this SERIOUS problem, PLEASE file a bug report to Apple. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of humpataa Down vote post of humpataa

Replies

If you’re looking to report a bug, the best place to do that is Feedback Assistant.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Of course I have already filed a bug report. I am trying to raise attention for others to do as well. Have you fully read my post? Have you tested what it is about? Have you filed a bug report? Please do.

Add a Comment

Of course I have already filed a bug report.

Cool. What was the bug number?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• My feedback has the number FB13567801.

Add a Comment

Just to make sure this topic / issue has not been fixed yet and still – more than ever – urgent to be fixed, because the Find My Network currently fully depends on iPhones / iPads with older iOS which are getting fewer every day.

Let me repeat: iOS17 is not participating (actively as Finder Devices) in the Find My Network anymore. Thus the network getting weaker every day which will make all AirTags literally useless in just a few more weeks months.

After weeks and months watching this, filing bug reports, contacting support, trying to raise attention without ANY response about the topic from Apple, I would like to invite everyone to test it yourself, prove the issue and file bug reports, ask for support to finally wake up Apple. The network already is MUCH worse than last year, this has to be fixed ASAP.

Here is a simplified and quite easy way to test it yourself:

• get two iPhones with different AppleIDs (a friend?) and at least one AirTag, make sure there is internet
  • bind the AirTag to one, let it be unknown to the other running iOS17
  • turn off bluetooth at the AirTag-iPhone, turn it on at the iOS17-iPhone (via settings, NOT quick options)
  • take only the three devices to an area without anyone else interfering (rural)
  • watch updates in Find My App on AirTag-iPhone: it will never change

Explanation: your iOS17 iPhone is supposed to report the location of the AirTag to Apple's server. Somehow it doesn't. Or it does but the information is not stored on server. Or the server is not sending it back to the Find My app. All leading to the same effect: the network dying.

Finally iOS latest update to 17.4.1 and 16.7.7 seem to have fixed this issue. Congratulations Apple, it only took 5 months.

I have still not received a single reply to my bug reports, no helpful replies to all of my tries to get contact – all just saying they would be not the right one for this. There simply is no way to give feedback if all is just set up to calm people, feed them with standard replies, simulate a service that is actually not existing. Very annoying.