Options to keep config files or data files for a suite of apps

Hi, so I want to have a set of config files and data files which need to be accessible for say 3 of the apps I am building. And these files should be accessible to all 3 regardless of who makes them. The config file can have details like theme etc or sign in details etc.

How do I go about doing this? Some of the things I thought of were,

1. Using the app group storage folder, where if I understand correctly, if my apps belong to the same app group and have the required entitlement I can create files, they can be accessed by all 3 apps and they will exist until the last of the applications is uninstalled. Is this right?

2. Letting the user pick a location/folder in "On my iPhone" in each of the apps and store the folder in bookmarks for each of the app. In this way the data will remain even after it is uninstalled.

Is there any other way this can be done. Is there a recommended way of doing this?

Replies

1. … Is this right?

Yes.

Is there a recommended way of doing this?

I recommend option 1. Option 2 is likely to be brittle.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Hi, thanks for responding, would you mind explaining what you mean by brittle wrt the 2nd option?

• And if I wanted to make sure that the data files persist unless user explicitly deletes them, and doesn't get deleted due to some uninstallation, would letting the user pick a location to store them make sense?

Add a Comment