Terminal Binary: "zsh: xxxx: command not found"

Hello, I'm having issues running a precompiled binary through Terminal. The binary is a custom fork of software used to send code to a microprocessor through USB. The distributor is a known company and they have the binaries working on their machine (but I don't know which version of macOS they use). I was running Ventura 13.2.1 on a 2021 M1 and upgraded to Sonoma 14.3.1 — neither worked.

I'm using zsh. I symlink the location of the binary, and it returns File Exists however, when I try to run the command, I receive zsh: permission denied: command then, when I sudo the command, I receive sudo: command: command not found.

If this binary is not signed by Apple, could this be the reason it's not working? Could it be because I have FileVault turned on? Are others having this issue in their applications?

Thank you

Replies

Could it be because I have FileVault turned on?

That’s unlikely.

If this binary is not signed by Apple, could this be the reason it's not working?

Command-line tools don’t need to be signed by Apple. However, it’s possible that the code signature is causing you problems.

If you open Terminal and try to run the full path executable, what do you see? For example:

% /Users/quinn/bin/dumpasn1 

You can enter this full path by dragging the executable from Finder into the Terminal window.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"