Xcode 'New File' default location issue when the path contains a Finder tag

Recently I've had a project which always had behaved normally start placing new files in my home folder. I'm not sure what started this, but I've found out that the issue occurs if the project folder or one of its parents have a Finder tag. I don't know if the same happens with the 'old' Finder labels. I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed yet, one would think at least one developer would be using tags in their filesystem.

Xcode 15.1 seems to default to the first parent it can find that doesn't hava a tag. I don't know about earlier versions.

Apparently, the solution is to remove the tag AND clear the build data. An Xcode restart seems not to be needed.

Replies

one would think at least one developer would be using tags in their filesystem.

I have a Git Repo tag that I apply to the top level folder of each Git working tree. I’ve never seen the behaviour you’ve described. I’m on macOS 14.3.1 with Xcode 15.2.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I have a Git Repo tag that I apply to the top level folder of each Git working tree. I’ve never seen the behaviour you’ve described. I’m on macOS 14.3.1 with Xcode 15.2.

Good to know. There must be some other precondition then. I've tried Xcode 15.1 and 15.3 on macOS 14.3. I know this issue wasn't happening when I created this project a couple of months ago. But now it happens with every new and old project. The tag in question was the default Blue that Finder comes with.