Use IPC for excuting function in partner app

Hi,

I have two iOS apps in the same app group. Now App 1 wants to execute a method in App 2 via IPC:

App 1 -> call method test() via IPC on App 2 -> App 2 returns the result to App 1.

Is this possible?

Regards,

Accepted Reply

This is on iOS, right?

If so, the typical IPC mechanisms are unlikely to work. Most IPC APIs require that both ends of the connection be running, and that’s not the case on iOS. Either App 1 or App 2 will be in the background, and iOS typically suspends an app when it moves to the background.

I talk more about this in iOS Background Execution Limits.

Can you explain more about the context here?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Understood - this will not work. The original idea was to provide specific functionality by means of a second app (due to licensing requirements).

Add a Comment

Replies

This is on iOS, right?

If so, the typical IPC mechanisms are unlikely to work. Most IPC APIs require that both ends of the connection be running, and that’s not the case on iOS. Either App 1 or App 2 will be in the background, and iOS typically suspends an app when it moves to the background.

I talk more about this in iOS Background Execution Limits.

Can you explain more about the context here?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Understood - this will not work. The original idea was to provide specific functionality by means of a second app (due to licensing requirements).

Add a Comment