Can't disable App Sandbox

My Xcode workspace contains build settings for a macOS, iOS, and tvOS application.

My Sandbox macOS app builds just fine and works great - and is on the App Store.

I am in the process of creating a new build / branch of this app that is not Sandboxed so that I can add IPC (Syphon support) - as I don't think I can use App Groups to enable CFMessage support (which Syphon requires) because Syphon (third party framework) - uses its own naming convention for the ports.

Anyway, sandbox support for a Syphon app is a topic for another day (it's actually quite disappointing that I can't release a Syphon version on the App Store).

The trouble I am having, is that even afer deleting the App Sandbox entitlement from my project, my App still seems to be running in the App Sandbox, and I can't figure out how to remove the App Sandbox entitlement completely.

What I am seeing, is that even after deleting the App Sandbox entitlement (using the project settings and deleting it in the "Signing and Capabilities" tab (and also checking the entitlements file manually to doubly make sure it is gone) - I am still seeing the following error message:

*** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x8703, name = 'info.v002.Syphon.332143F7-0916-428A-A88A-59B752F95304' See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.

It is also saving my Application Support data in the ~/Library/Containers folder, and not in ~/Library/ApplicationSupport

What step am I missing?

Answered by EulerDev in 788288022

That confirms that the sandbox is enabled. I’m not sure what’s going with your project to build it this way, but the presence of that entitlement explains the runtime behaviour you’re seeing.

Yes, I saw that.

Anyway, I think it might be an Xcode bug. I looked through the build settings, and in the CodeSigning section of the Build Settings, the Enable App Sandbox setting was set to true, even though I had deleted that Entitlement in the Signing & Capabilities project tab. After setting the build setting of "Enable App Sandbox" to No - it is no longer building as a Sandbox App, and export of the Metal Texture is working perfectly.

Cheers

It’s not clear, but the first step is to check that your Xcode changes are actually being reflected in the built binary. Do this:

1. Build the non-sandboxed version of your app.

2. Choose Product > Copy Build Folder Path.

3. Use that to run the following command in Terminal:

% codesign -d --entitlements - /path/to/your.app

What do you see?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Here is the output of codesign -d --entitlements:

[Dict]
	[Key] com.apple.application-identifier
	[Value]
		[String] R6FVYGV9JW.com.alloneword.macOS.Euler
	[Key] com.apple.developer.icloud-container-identifiers
	[Value]
		[Array]
			[String] iCloud.com.alloneword.eulervs
	[Key] com.apple.developer.icloud-services
	[Value]
		[Array]
			[String] CloudKit
	[Key] com.apple.developer.team-identifier
	[Value]
		[String] R6FVYGV9JW
	[Key] com.apple.security.app-sandbox
	[Value]
		[Bool] true
	[Key] com.apple.security.files.user-selected.read-write
	[Value]
		[Bool] true
	[Key] com.apple.security.get-task-allow
	[Value]
		[Bool] true

Oh, and just for clarity, here is info on my developer machine:

• macBook Pro: M1 Max
  • Xcode: Version 15.3 (15E204a)
  • macOS: Sonoma 14.4.1

Here is the output of codesign -d --entitlements:

Thanks. Note the presence of the com.apple.security.app-sandbox entitlement. That confirms that the sandbox is enabled. I’m not sure what’s going with your project to build it this way, but the presence of that entitlement explains the runtime behaviour you’re seeing.

Share and Enjoy

Accepted Answer

That confirms that the sandbox is enabled. I’m not sure what’s going with your project to build it this way, but the presence of that entitlement explains the runtime behaviour you’re seeing.

Yes, I saw that.

Anyway, I think it might be an Xcode bug. I looked through the build settings, and in the CodeSigning section of the Build Settings, the Enable App Sandbox setting was set to true, even though I had deleted that Entitlement in the Signing & Capabilities project tab. After setting the build setting of "Enable App Sandbox" to No - it is no longer building as a Sandbox App, and export of the Metal Texture is working perfectly.

Cheers

Hi Quinn, now that the weird build issue is resolved (though I'm still not sure how I got into that state) - do you have any suggestions / examples of how to use CFMessage ports in an Sandbox App other than the App Group naming convention (I can't change the port naming convention, as it is a long established naming convention of Syphon, which is supported by hundreds of video apps).

I have a sample (non sandboxed) app that simply publishes SpriteKit frames to a Syphon Server instance. Is there anyway possible to do this in a Sandbox App?

Sample Project

Regarding your sandbox issue, there are a lot of degrees of freedom within an Xcode project, so it’s hard to say whether it’s a bug or whether you just hit some wacky edge case. Regardless, you got it sorted, and that’s good enough for me (-:

do you have any suggestions / examples of how to use CFMessage ports in an Sandbox App other than the App Group naming convention

Sure. Put your new question in a new thread and I’ll respond there. Tag it with App Sandbox and Inter-process communication so that I see it.

Share and Enjoy

Can't disable App Sandbox

Q