sqlite slow performance iOS17 vs. 16 - will it improve in iOS 18

On our app we have noticed that performance on devices using iOS 17 is considerably slower than those on iOS 16. Why is that? Looks to be an issue with sqlite versions being used? - cannot find anywhere online that states sqlite version used in iOS 17.

Can someone tell me the sqlite version used with iOS 17 ?

Will this performance issue be fixed in iOS 18?

Thanks

I've experienced the same. Likewise with the beta version of Android 15, VanillaIceCream. I believe the issue is the version of SQLite used is slow, which for VanillaIceCream is 3.42.0. See https://sqlite.org/forum/forumpost/8ab195fd44e75ed0 . At the bottom of the thread, links to a fix are posted for SQLite's slow performance. A fix is in place in 3.46.0

Apple people, can the next version of iOS17 or even iOS18 use version 3.46.0 of SQLite?

Apple people, can the next version of iOS17 or even iOS18 use version 3.46.0 of SQLite?

We can’t discuss The Future™. As always, if there’s something about the system that you’d like to see change, I encourage you to file an enhancement request with the details.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I also have this issue with an enhancement to my app which requires a large file of INSERT statements on initial running and for annual updates. Timings for this on various simulators and devices are shown below.

The following timings are for reading a string containing about 150,000 INSERT statements using Swift's sqlite3_exec call:

• MacBook Pro M3: 0.44s
  • iPhoneSE (3rd generation) Simulator 15.5: 0.52s
  • iPhoneSE (3rd generation) Simulator 16.4: 7.49s
  • iPhoneSE (3rd generation) Simulator 17.4: 323.10s
  • iPad Pro (10.5-inch) 17.5.1 Device 1165.31s
  • iPhone SE 18.0 (beta) Device 0.69s

The issue does seem to have been fixed for iOS 18, but it remains a deal-breaker for iOS 17. Can anyone suggest a workaround?

Bill Aylward

I have found a workaround for my own app (which uses my own lightweight framework around the SQLite c/c++ api).

The package referenced below complies the latest version of SQLite into my code. It was very easy to implement and so far seems to have fixed the issue.

https://github.com/sbooth/CSQLite.git

Thank you Stephen Booth.

Bill Aylward

sqlite slow performance iOS17 vs. 16 - will it improve in iOS 18

Q