Internet is blocked when `includeAllNetworks` is enabled and `NEHotspotHelper` is registered

Hello,

We are facing what we believe is a compatibility issue with two networking APIs.

If the Network extension VPN configuration has includeAllNetworks flag enabled and the NEHotspotHelper is registered.

The user has internet connection but it is blocked, and there user will get internet back only after restarting the device.

VPN Configuration is as below while connecting to VPN,

{
  localizedDescription = WLVPN WireGuard Configuration
  enabled = YES
  protocolConfiguration = {
    serverAddress = <18-char-str>
    passwordReference = {length = 20, bytes = 0x67656e70ed0d05c06b1b4896bf4fef2031e1a92d}
    disconnectOnSleep = NO
    includeAllNetworks = YES
    excludeLocalNetworks = YES
    excludeCellularServices = YES
    excludeAPNs = YES
    excludeDeviceCommunication = YES
    enforceRoutes = NO
    providerBundleIdentifier = com.wlvpn.ios.consumervpn.network-extension
  }
  onDemandEnabled = NO
  onDemandRules = ()
}

After running the code shown below. Regardless if the VPN is connected or not, the user needs to restart his device to regain internet access.

private let neHelperQueue = DispatchQueue(label: "com.wlvpn.ios.consumervpn.hotspot",
                       attributes: DispatchQueue.Attributes.concurrent)

let options: [String: NSObject] = [kNEHotspotHelperOptionDisplayName : "" as NSObject]
let status = NEHotspotHelper.register(options: nil, queue: neHelperQueue) { cmd in
      NSLog("Received command: \(cmd.commandType.rawValue)")
}

We need to use the includeAllNetworks flag to prevent the novel "Tunnel vision" vulnerability.

Can we please have some help getting confirmation if both functionalities are compatible or if there's a way to enable them at the same time?

Can we please have some help getting confirmation if both functionalities are compatible … ?

I think you’ve confirmed that for yourself |-:

My advice is that you file a bug about this. Make sure to include VPN debugging info, per our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs page.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hi,

I posted bug on Feedback Assistant. Please let me know if anything required.

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/13845934

Thanks

Internet is blocked when `includeAllNetworks` is enabled and `NEHotspotHelper` is registered

Q