Add new capabilities to a Provisioning Profile

We have a MacOS app that we distribute outside of the App Store. The App has an embedded provisioning profile that is still valid. We would like to add the Associated Domains capability to the app ID. Does that require regenerating a new provisioning profile and embedding it into a new version of App? If we do that, does that mean that the old provisioning profile will become invalid and the old Apps that are still running with it will stop working? Is there a way to make the transition to the new provisioning profile smooth without any downtime?

From Configuring an associated domain:

If not already present, Xcode updates your target’s entitlements file to include the Associated Domains Entitlement, which is an array that contains each associated domain you define. If you enable the “Automatically manage signing” option for your target, Xcode also updates your app’s App ID in the developer portal and generates and downloads an updated provisioning profile.

Note: If you later remove the Associated Domains capability in Xcode, you must manually update your App ID’s configuration in the developer portal to fully disable the feature.

Thanks for your reply! Apologies, but I forgot to mention that I am not using XCode to do the signing process, I am doing this manually. If I manually update the App ID in the Developer Account portal to include the new capability, would that require generating a new profile? And if I generate a new profile, does that mean that the old one will get invalidated and the old apps will stop working?

I have this same question. Essentially our endpoint client is like an agent. We are adding major new features with new entitlement requirements, but as we update this version we are worried that it will disable our existing install base of customers. That can't happen, so we are unsure of how to proceed with getting a new App ID.

Add new capabilities to a Provisioning Profile

Q