Error 15517 when playing HLS

Playing fMP4 HLS stream on VisionOS beta. This is the stream, HEVC main 10 and EAC3 6 channel:

#EXT-X-STREAM-INF:BANDWIDTH=6760793,AVERAGE-BANDWIDTH=6760793,VIDEO-RANGE=PQ,CODECS="hvc1.2.4.L150.B0,mp4a.a6",RESOLUTION=3840x2160,FRAME-RATE=23.976,SUBTITLES="subs"

This is what AVPlayer says:

Error Domain=AVFoundationErrorDomain Code=-11848 "Cannot Open" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=The media cannot be used on this device., NSLocalizedDescription=Cannot Open, NSUnderlyingError=0x3009e37b0 {Error Domain=CoreMediaErrorDomain Code=-15517 "(null)"}}

I can't find any documentation for the underlying error 15517.

Is it because "mp4a.a6" is declared in the codec list and not "ec-3"?

hlsreport has these MUST FIX issues:

1. Measured peak bitrate compared to multivariant playlist declared value exceeds error tolerance

Multivariant Playlist Stream Definition for All Variants

2. Stereo audio in AAC-LC, HE-AAC v1, or HE-AAC v2 format MUST be provided

Multivariant Playlist

3. If Dolby Digital Plus is provided then Dolby Digital MUST be provided also

Multivariant Playlist

4. I-frame playlists ( EXT-X-I-FRAME-STREAM-INF ) MUST be provided to support scrubbing and scanning UI

Multivariant Playlist

5. The server MUST deliver playlists using gzip content-encoding

All Variants
All Renditions
Multivariant Playlist

6. You MUST provide multiple bit rates of video

Multivariant Playlist

7. Playlist codec type doesn't match content codec type

All Variants

8. (Segment) The operation couldn’t be completed. (HTTPPumpErrorDomain error -16845 - HTTP 400: (unhandled))

(list of subtitle renditions)

9. (Segment) HTTP 400 - HTTP/2.0 400 Bad Request

(list of subtitle renditions)

10. Multichannel audio MUST be separate audio stream

All Variants

11. If EXT-X-INDEPENDENT-SEGMENTS is not in the multivariant playlist, then you MUST use the EXT-X-INDEPENDENT-SEGMENTS tag in all video media playlists

All Variants

12. The CODECS attribute MUST include every media format present

All Variants, does not declare EC-3
Answered by jnorris441 in 791769022

Through trial-and-error I confirmed that specifying "mp4a.a6" instead of "ec-3" in the manifest causes AVPlayer to fail. Did this used to work in VisionOS 1.x?

Accepted Answer

Through trial-and-error I confirmed that specifying "mp4a.a6" instead of "ec-3" in the manifest causes AVPlayer to fail. Did this used to work in VisionOS 1.x?

Error 15517 when playing HLS

Q