API to get AVSpeechSynthesisVoice that are available to download (via Settings.app) but not yet downloaded to a device

Here is the use case, I have a language learning app that uses AVSpeechSynthesizer ❤️. When a user listens to a phrase with the AVSpeechSynthesizer using a AVSpeechSynthesisVoice with a AVSpeechSynthesisVoiceQuality of default it sounds much much worse than voices with enhanced or premium, really affecting usability.

There appears to be no API for the app to know if there are enhanced or premium voices available to download (via Settings.app) but not yet downloaded to a device. The only API I could find is AVSpeechSynthesisVoice.speechVoices() which returns all available voices on the device, but not a full list of voices available via download. So the app cannot know if it should inform the user "hey this voice your listening to is a much lower quality than enhanced or premium, go to settings and download the enhanced or premium version".

Any ideas? Do I need to send in an enhancement request via Feedback Assistant? Thank you for helping my users ears and helping them turn speech synthesis voice quality up to 11 when it's available to them with just a couple of extra taps!

(I suppose the best workaround is to display a warning every time the user is using a default quality voice, I wonder what % of voices have enhanced or premium versions...)

Answered by neillino in 794154022

Ah ok, I found it.

Accepted Answer

Ah ok, I found it.

API to get AVSpeechSynthesisVoice that are available to download (via Settings.app) but not yet downloaded to a device

Q