AccessorySetupKit Picker does not show device as expected, console logs show device discovered

I'm trying to get the ASK Sample to discover and connect to a device using a 16-bit uuid. In my case, I have a few fitness sensors laying around like heart rate monitors and cycling sensors.

Specifically, I've configured the following descriptor to be shown in the picker:

private static let heartRateMonitor: ASPickerDisplayItem = {
        let descriptor = ASDiscoveryDescriptor()
        descriptor.bluetoothServiceUUID = CBUUID(string: "180D")

return ASPickerDisplayItem(name: "Heart Rate Monitor", productImage: UIImage(named: "PolarH10")!, descriptor: descriptor)
    }()

100% another app on the device using an unfiltered scan can find this device, so I know the phone can see it. Also, the settings app Bluetooth screen sees it too.

When the picker is active for this descriptor, in console I see the device is being discovered and it is matching the underlying filter. However the picker doesn't show the device.

Received 'start active Unspecified scan' request , without duplicates, duration:unlimited, UUIDs [ E56A082E-C49B-47CA-A2AB-389127B8ABE3 E56A082E-C49B-47CA-A2AB-389127B8ABE4 0x180D ] on 1M PHY from session "com.apple.deviceaccessd-central-727-198" Matched UUID 0x180D for device "D3030A85-BBB9-6C0D-53C4-6697898B2E4B"

This is an apparent bug: FB14078940 - AccessorySetupKit: ASDiscoveryDescriptor does not appear to identify 16-bit UUIDs like the Heart Rate Service/Profile UUID

After more tinkering, I did discover that if I connect the device in the settings app, and keep it connected, the picker will find the device immediately. I assume it is under the hood it is calling this function or the internal implementation: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corebluetooth/cbcentralmanager/retrieveconnectedperipherals(withservices:)

This is still not expected, a developer should be able to discover and connect an accessory directly in their app.

Noteworthy, I also found that ALL apps in the Settings app list the accessory once paired, which is totally not expected: FB14170263 - Settings: Viewing accessories in settings app for all apps show the accessory paired with another application

P.S. forum moderators, there is no tag for 'AccessorySetupKit' which is the technology I'd like to tag this with.

Last tested with iOS 18 developer beta 2.

AccessorySetupKit Picker does not show device as expected, console logs show device discovered

Q