Using Older version of Xcode

Hi, I have a 2017 iMac that works perfectly, and I am trying to use it to make applications using Swift with Xcode. However, I cannot use Xcode because the last update my iMac supported was Ventura, and now, Xcode requires macOS Sonoma. Is there any way to get around this? Thanks

Answered by Claude31 in 795169022

It is possible to use Xcode on an older Mac (I do it on a 2015 iMac with Monterrey and Xcode 14.2).

But I cannot publish on AppStore with it (you can with Xcode 15.2):

as of April 2024 all iOS and iPadOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with a minimum of Xcode 15 and the iOS 17 SDK.

So, sooner or later you will unfortunately have to upgrade to a new Mac (which is a pity when the old one still working perfectly and there is no iMac 27" in the lineup).

PS: I use this site to download any version of Xcode: https://xcodereleases.com

now, Xcode requires macOS Sonoma.

Xcode 15.3 and later requires macOS Sonoma. The Minimum requirements and supported SDKs table lists the minimum macOS required for each Xcode version. You can install and run Xcode 14.3 to Xcode 15.2 on macOS Ventura (13 to 13.5).

To download older versions of Xcode, use the More button at the top right of the Download page.

I cannot find the More button. Here is a screenshot of my download page. The only button in the top right corner is the Share button.

Accepted Answer

It is possible to use Xcode on an older Mac (I do it on a 2015 iMac with Monterrey and Xcode 14.2).

But I cannot publish on AppStore with it (you can with Xcode 15.2):

as of April 2024 all iOS and iPadOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with a minimum of Xcode 15 and the iOS 17 SDK.

So, sooner or later you will unfortunately have to upgrade to a new Mac (which is a pity when the old one still working perfectly and there is no iMac 27" in the lineup).

PS: I use this site to download any version of Xcode: https://xcodereleases.com

I cannot find the More button.

Navigate to the developer website, click Develop then Downloads in the ensuing page. After signing into the Downloads page, use the More button at the top right of the page. In the More Downloads page, type Xcode to filter the result. Use the Minimum requirements and supported SDKs table to determine which Xcode to install on your macOS system.

Using Older version of Xcode

Q