Notification Service Extension is initialized but never triggered

Hi all,

I'm attempting to implement a notification service extension for my app, however I'm running into some troubles with triggering the extension.

The service extension is successfully installed with the app, and is initialized when a notification is received (which ive confirmed by attaching a debugger to it), however the didReceive method is never called. In the debugger console, the following message is printed: Service extension base class recieved didReceiveNotificationRequest: .

I can confirm that the all the payload requirements are met to trigger the extension, and I was able to create an extension that would trigger in a blank application (using the same payload). It's only this app that prints this message to the console, and does not trigger.

The extension code is as follows (I've removed all of the intended functionality at this point to try and pinpoint the issue)

class NotificationService: UNNotificationServiceExtension {

var contentHandler: ((UNNotificationContent) -> Void)?
    var bestAttemptContent: UNMutableNotificationContent?

override init() {
        self.contentHandler = nil
        self.bestAttemptContent = nil
        print("startup!")
    }

func didReceive(_ request: UNNotificationRequest, withContentHandler contentHandler: @escaping (UNNotificationContent) -> Void) async {
        let logger = Logger(subsystem: "app.revolt.chat", category: "notificationservice")
        logger.info("Invoked notification extension")
        debugPrint(request)

self.contentHandler = contentHandler
        bestAttemptContent = (request.content.mutableCopy() as? UNMutableNotificationContent)

guard let bestAttemptContent = bestAttemptContent else {
            print("content is null")
            return
        }
        bestAttemptContent.title = "beans"

if request.content.categoryIdentifier != "ALERT_MESSAGE" {
            bestAttemptContent.subtitle = "not an alert message"
            contentHandler(bestAttemptContent)
            return
        }

}

override func serviceExtensionTimeWillExpire() {
        // Called just before the extension will be terminated by the system.
        // Use this as an opportunity to deliver your "best attempt" at modified content, otherwise the original push payload will be used.
        if let contentHandler = contentHandler, let bestAttemptContent =  bestAttemptContent {
        }
    }
}
Notification Service Extension is initialized but never triggered

Q