local iOS Zeroconf Device vs. iOS simulator Zeroconf Visual Studio

Hello,

I am not exactly sure this is the right place to ask this since it involves Microsoft's Visual Studio, but because the problem I am having involves iOS I figured I would anyway.

Info:

I am trying to develop a cross-platform application using .NET Maui in Visual Studio. I am on a Windows machine pairing to a mac with Xcode installed, so I can build for iOS. My local device is an iPhone 13 running on iOS Version 17.5.1. The simulators I am using in Visual Studio are all iOS Version 17+. I am using the .NET NuGet package Zeroconf which should work for both iOS and Android (Repo:https://github.com/novotnyllc/Zeroconf). I also believe I have given the correct permissions for iOS in my Info.plist.

Problem:

The problem I am coming across is that when I build and run my application in one of the installed iOS Simulators and I go to scan for local devices it is able to come back with 80-100 devices that we want to find, but when I build and run it on my local device it comes back with nothing found. I had searched for similar problems that other people were having and found that iOS 17+ has some potential problems when it comes to searching for devices. Is this true? If someone can help me solve this issue between the simulator and local device I would greatly appreciate it.

If there is any other information that I can give to help with solving this problem please let me know.

Thanks!

Discovery Code:

TimeSpan scanTime = TimeSpan.FromMilliseconds(2000);
    int retries = 4;
    int retryDelayMilliseconds = 2000;
    Action<IZeroconfHost> callback = null;
    CancellationToken cancellationToken = default;
    System.Net.NetworkInformation.NetworkInterface[] arrayofnics = NetworkInterface.GetAllNetworkInterfaces();
    int index = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < arrayofnics.Length; i++)
    {
        // en0 is for iOS 0 is for android. 
        if (arrayofnics[i].Description.Equals("en0") || arrayofnics[i].Description.Equals("0"))
        {
            index = i;
            break;
        }
    }

System.Net.NetworkInformation.NetworkInterface wifi = arrayofnics[index];

System.Net.NetworkInformation.NetworkInterface[] netInterfacesToSendRequestOn = { wifi };

IReadOnlyList<IZeroconfHost> results = null;

IReadOnlyList<string> domains;

var browseDomains = await ZeroconfResolver.BrowseDomainsAsync();
    domains = browseDomains.Select(g => g.Key).ToList();

results = await ZeroconfResolver.ResolveAsync("_http._tcp.local.", scanTime, retries, retryDelayMilliseconds, callback, cancellationToken, netInterfacesToSendRequestOn);

Info.plist:

<key>NSLocalNetworkUsageDescription</key>
<string>This app requires local network access to discover devices.</string>
<key>NSBonjourServices</key>
<array>
	<string>_ipspeaker._tcp.local</string>
	<string>_ipspeaker._tcp.local.</string>
	<string>_ipspeaker._tcp.</string>
	<string>_http._tcp.local.</string>
	<string>_http._tcp.</string>
</array>
Answered by DTS Engineer in 797282022

Yeah, don’t do that. Apple platforms have a built-in mDNS responder and it’s important that you use it rather than bring your own. Specifically:

• It saves memory.

• It save network traffic.

• It means you don’t need to apply for, and be granted access to, the multicast entitlement. See FAQ-3 in the Local Network Privacy FAQ.

I believe it’s that last point that’s causing the misbehaviour you’ve described.

Our mDNS responder supports a number of APIs. The lowest-level one, the DNS-SD API, is supported by mDNS responders on other platforms, so it’s likely you’ll be able to find a wrapper for it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Do you know whether this Zeroconf library talks to the system resolver? Or is it running its own mDNS stack?

Share and Enjoy

The library runs its own mDNS stack.

Accepted Answer

Yeah, don’t do that. Apple platforms have a built-in mDNS responder and it’s important that you use it rather than bring your own. Specifically:

• It saves memory.

• It save network traffic.

• It means you don’t need to apply for, and be granted access to, the multicast entitlement. See FAQ-3 in the Local Network Privacy FAQ.

I believe it’s that last point that’s causing the misbehaviour you’ve described.

Our mDNS responder supports a number of APIs. The lowest-level one, the DNS-SD API, is supported by mDNS responders on other platforms, so it’s likely you’ll be able to find a wrapper for it.

Share and Enjoy

local iOS Zeroconf Device vs. iOS simulator Zeroconf Visual Studio

Q