Notarization: The operation couldn't be completed. (SotoS3.S3ErrorType.multipart error 1.)

Hello,

For my macOS app, on Xcode version 15.4 (15F31d)
on macOS 14.5 (23F79)
I follow Organizer > Distribute App > Direct Distribution, and I get a Notary Error "The operation couldn't be completed. (SotoS3.S3ErrorType.multipart error 1.)"

It's been happening since 3 days.

In the IDEDistribution.verbose.log file I see:

https://gist.github.com/atacan/5dec7a5e26dde0ec06a5bc4eb3607461

It's been happening since 3 days.

Well, that’s not good.

I’ve not heard of any general problem with notarisation, so my first guess is that this is related to your environment. However, it’s hard to say for sure.

Let’s start with a simple diagnostic: If you export your app from the Xcode organiser — click Distribute App and then choose Custom workflow — and then try to notarise using notarytool, does that work?

For instructions on how to use notarytool, see Customizing the notarization workflow.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hello, thank you. I got the same error. Here is what I did.

Xcode > Organizer > Distribute App > Custom > Copy App

ditto -c -k --keepParent AppName.app/ AppName.zip

xcrun notarytool submit AppName.zip --keychain-profile "notarytool-password" --wait

I ran the same command also after making Xcode 16 Beta 3 the active Xcode. I got the same error. The error I see is the following:

Conducting pre-submission checks for AppName.zip and initiating connection to the Apple notary service...
Submission ID received
  id: 27810ac1-0c04-4bd8-a24a-13d868846d2f
Error: abortedUpload(resumeRequest: SotoS3.S3.ResumeMultipartUploadRequest(uploadRequest: SotoS3.S3.CreateMultipartUploadRequest(acl: nil, 
bucket: "notary-submissions-prod", 
bucketKeyEnabled: nil, 
cacheControl: nil, 
contentDisposition: nil, 
contentEncoding: nil, 
contentLanguage: nil, 
contentType: nil, 
expectedBucketOwner: nil, 
_expires: SotoCore.OptionalCustomCoding<SotoCore.HTTPHeaderDateCoder>(value: nil), 
grantFullControl: nil, 
grantRead: nil, 
grantReadACP: nil, 
grantWriteACP: nil, 
key: "prod/AROARQRX7CZS3PRF6ZA5L:27810ac1-0c04-4bd8-a24a-13d868846d2f", 
metadata: nil, 
objectLockLegalHoldStatus: nil, 
objectLockMode: nil, 
_objectLockRetainUntilDate: SotoCore.OptionalCustomCoding<SotoCore.ISO8601DateCoder>(value: nil), 
requestPayer: nil, 
serverSideEncryption: nil, 
sSECustomerAlgorithm: nil, 
sSECustomerKey: nil, 
sSECustomerKeyMD5: nil, 
sSEKMSEncryptionContext: nil, 
sSEKMSKeyId: nil, 
storageClass: nil, 
tagging: nil, 
websiteRedirectLocation: nil), 
uploadId: "8PznO1GCHLY.4hhKSVqntQf7LBaIox10kzjo1pkXmO4z1noX7qMXhKYYBh0WKJIRq4mKAvbcHzfVCKsGuBB4okUpWt46X0K8Me.kRDXQaYJeBsEaj_lPKfqiJGNZi06P8glRt6ZFnf.E7_97sfrmYsJl4KRowteprR3YMKtGG13Z6vfLzK7kqRcfh3n.bddj", 
completedParts: []), 
error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (Network.NWError error 60 - Operation timed out))

Thanks for those results.

So, yeah, clearly our notary code is having a hard time contacting the S3 bucket where its uploads your product. Usually this means some sort of network issue at your end.

Can you try from a different network? So, if you’re at work, try from home, or vice versa.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Hello, thank you. I tried it using my phone's hotspot. Would that count? I got the same error.

To see if there is something wrong with this particular app, I tried to notarize another app of mine, that is currently distributed on the Mac App Store. Trying to notarize the build that was accepted to App Store also gives the same error.

Notarization: The operation couldn't be completed. (SotoS3.S3ErrorType.multipart error 1.)

Q