Resetting Terminal Environment

Hello All,

This is my first post to this community! Unfortunately, I am requesting help with my bash environment. I am just getting into customizing my terminal and I have managed to mess up my terminal. I have lost access to programs via CLI. I am guessing that I have messed with my $PATH. Also, I have tried to reset my terminal from using the preferences of my terminal to /bin/bash but I tried installing first fish, then zsh, and oh my fish, oh my zsh respectively. I managed to delete fish to try to use zsh, but now I have a botched version of zsh running as my default terminal and I am at a loss on how to reset it.

Any help would be appreciated, as well as any resources that I can look at.

P.S. Any recommendations to places to learn about bash and the terminal environment would be appreciated.

Thanks

I guess I should add that I have deleted my com.apple.terminal.plist file as well as deleting my ~/.zshrc file and tried to '$ export SHELL=/bin/bash'

install macports

get an example of .bashrc

go to unix dot com

Hello Aremmer,

macOS already includes an up-to-date version of zsh. If your environment is seriously hosed for multple shells, you can always run something like csh or tcsh just to recover. In the Terminal, run Shell > New Command.. > and manually enter "/bin/bash" or "bin/zsh", etc. without the quotes. That will get the system shell running so you can delete or move aside your old dotfiles. If necessary, you can also create a new administrator account and use that via sudo to fix your dot files.

From what I can see macports is just another package manager like Homebrew. I already have homebrew, is there a reason that you recommend macports over homebrew?

Thanks John,

My understanding of how zsh works is that it should provide autocomplete suggestions. This I have looked on zsh site and no luck on how to fix it. Any suggestions. Also when I try to install oh my zsh it says that zsh is not istalled.

>I am just getting into customizing my terminal and I have managed to mess up my terminal. I have lost access to programs via CLI. I am guessing that I have messed with my $PATH.

macOS/terminal-centric Install/Setup/Configuration questions might have better luck over on Apple's public support forums, thanks and good luck.

yes, homebrew modus operandi is just to crank out formulas to get apps installed, little to NO regression testing, bad dependencies, i told them once to set up some build bots because a few formulas were very broken, fell on deaf ears, like what's a build bot? is that a new ruby script?

macports has been around a while, usually very stable so hence you don't always get the latest version but it's always better than the default versions that ship with osx. you don't get ffmpeg with every lib option available as some dependencies will break others, so you build other libs yourself and if you crash and burn, you don't hose everyone else .

osx /bin/bash is seriously outdated

GNU bash, version 3.2.57(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin16)

Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

as opposed to macports

GNU bash, version 4.4.12(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin16.4.0)

Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.

There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

zsh is outdated but not as badly

zsh 5.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin16.0)

macports

zsh 5.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin16.4.0)

Resetting Terminal Environment

Q