In macOS, is it possible to have a hardware-bound key in the system context?

We are interested in using a hardware-bound key to sign requests made to a server prior to a user being logged in. We would do this using a launch daemon. The goal here is to have a high degree of assurance that a request came from a particular device.

The normal way to do this would be with a private key in the Secure Enclave.

Based on these threads: https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/719342

https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/115833

and the write-up about the Data Protection Keychain, it doesn't appear possible with the SE. Rather, it seems that we must wait until we have a logged-in user context before we can use the SE.

My questions are:

• am I correct in that the SE is not usable in the system context prior to login?
  • is there any other way on macOS to sign a request in such a way that we know it comes from a specific device?

Thanks.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 797326022
am I correct in that the SE is not usable in the system context prior to login?

Correct, presuming that we’re talking about general-purpose signing from third-party code.

We are interested in using a hardware-bound key to sign requests made to a server prior to a user being logged in.

This kinda sounds a bit IdP-ish. If so, there might be an answer for you in the Platform SSO space.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Accepted Answer
am I correct in that the SE is not usable in the system context prior to login?

Correct, presuming that we’re talking about general-purpose signing from third-party code.

We are interested in using a hardware-bound key to sign requests made to a server prior to a user being logged in.

This kinda sounds a bit IdP-ish. If so, there might be an answer for you in the Platform SSO space.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thanks for the quick response.

And I assume by general-purpose signing from 3rd party code you mean that Apple code might be able to do it, but we will not be able to accomplish it?

You are correct that this is in the context of IDP work and so PSSO is definitely on our radar for this. We'll dig deeper into that.

Thanks, Francis

Another question on this topic: would an ACME certificate, which can be hardware bound, be used during the system context prior to login?

In macOS, is it possible to have a hardware-bound key in the system context?

Q