The Use of Developer Technical Support

Hello all....

I am aware that Apple has a section called Developer Technical Support.

What does this service do? I tried to read up on it but I am still not clear. Does Apple let seasoned programmers help you with your coding for a price or solve a particular proble?. What is the limit of the number of times you can ask for help? I am SURE it isn't limitless or they would be plagued by newbies or quasi-newbies like me asking for help.

Any body here who has experience with this service? If so, please tell me on this forum.

Thank you.

JR

Accepted Reply

You use DTS when you find you have a serious problem in your app that you just cannot solve. An Apple engineer will handle your question and respond within a few days. Their help is not unlimited and you should be as prepared as you can before asking for help, see link below for information on preparing your request. You shouldn't expect that you're going to be able to go back and forth with multiple follow up questions, think of them like free wishes, know what you're asking for before you ask.

https://developer.apple.com/support/technical/

Your membership includes 2 incidents per year, if you need more you can purchase them.

Note that I have been a member of Apple's developer program for years and have never used DTS, but it's nice to know it's there if I need it.

Replies

You use DTS when you find you have a serious problem in your app that you just cannot solve. An Apple engineer will handle your question and respond within a few days. Their help is not unlimited and you should be as prepared as you can before asking for help, see link below for information on preparing your request. You shouldn't expect that you're going to be able to go back and forth with multiple follow up questions, think of them like free wishes, know what you're asking for before you ask.

https://developer.apple.com/support/technical/

Your membership includes 2 incidents per year, if you need more you can purchase them.

Note that I have been a member of Apple's developer program for years and have never used DTS, but it's nice to know it's there if I need it.

That is terriffic news donarb!!

And I take the point you made about me being prepared VERY seriously!

Thanks for the answer.

JR

JR:

DTS is for code level support only, meaning they don't get into code signing or pre-reviews, etc. You contact them with a specific issue in a specific project, then hand over a working project that demonstrates the issue, when asked. Don't expect a lot of dialog, so try to stay on topic.

I've used DTS twice in the past and both times they solved things for me, but it took up to two weeks one time. I just made sure to be concise with my problem and patient with the process....seeing as I'd tried to solve one problem for 3 months, by just working on other things and coming back to it when I had new info, etc., a couple more weeks wasn't a big deal at that time.

It's a bit like having a one-on-one at WWDC, but the interaction is remote and things don't happen as quite as fast. You get two incidents per year with your dev account and lose them if you don't use them...they don't carry over, but you get two more the next time. Some devs will use them right at the end for certain lower priority issues, but as noted, you can always buy more if you need them.

Ken