peer-to-peer WiFi frequency

I wonder if frequency/channel of Apple's peer-to-peer networking protocols (`NSNetService/MultipeerConnectivity`) is available.

I know that the peer-to-peer protocols are not documented for third-party use but maybe the frequency/channel information is available somewhere (à la AirPlay - "The temporary network typically operates on Wi-Fi channel 149+1, but depending on the hardware involved, may also include channel 6, or channel 149,80.").

Thanks.

Replies

I wonder if frequency/channel of Apple's peer-to-peer networking protocols (…) is available.

Not explicitly. I suspect that you’ll find it matches what’s documented for AirPlay (they all use the same Apple-specific underlying peer-to-peer Wi-Fi infrastructure) but as far as I know we’ve never said that officially.

Why does this matter to you?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks eskimo!

Why does this matter to you?

I just got one of these WiFi sniffers and wanted to check what it worth....

I tried channels 6, 149+1. I also tried channels 1 and 11. Actually, I tried all possible channels that the sniffer supports. I also used my iMac with airport command line tool (to change channels) to double check that I am not missing anything. Wireshark was set to monitoring mode (at first with promiscuous mode set and later with promiscuous mode unset).

Bottom line is that I saw exactly... nothing :-) Is that normal?

I’m sorry but I can’t help you with this. I’m not familiar enough with the implementation of peer-to-peer Wi-Fi to suggest any obvious solutions here. And given that this stuff is not documented by Apple for a reason, I shan’t dig any deeper.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thank you, Eskimo!

you should see some packets with wireshark, i have no problems getting data. check your config, read the manual, use sudo

unless you write your own driver all you will be able to do is packet snif, no injection

I already mentioned in one of my previous comments

Wireshark was set to monitoring mode (at first with promiscuous mode set and later with promiscuous mode unset).

And then

Bottom line is that I saw exactly... nothing...

If you are able to see data in Wireshark while two Apple devices are communicating peer-to-peer (without being connected to a router), I would appreciate if you can share your setup/frequency/channel.

After seeing your response, I decided to give another try and this time I was able to track it down!

Frequency: 5220

Channel: 44

I used the same Wireshark setup - Monitoring mode w/ Promiscuous mode set on the WiFi interface as before. I did upgrade my MBP to a newer model, MacOS & Wireshark versions were updated to the latest as well. Maybe one of these setup's changes did the change that allowed me to capture it now.