FileVault encryption stuck High Sierra Beta 5

Hi everyone, I’ve looked everywhere before posting this but I can’t find anyone else with this problem! I’ve updated my late 2013 MBP to beta 5, and it prompted me to encrypt the drive with FileVault. Big mistake. Since then, I’ve had my mac regularly crash on me, usually every 2-3 hours or so, where the screen freezes, I can move the cursor but nothing on the screen responds to clicks, and eventually it reverts to a screen somewhat like the login screen with a progress bar and it stays like that. I’ve left it overnight in this state and in the morning it stays the same. So why do I think it’s FileVault at fault? Filevault has been stuck on 10% encryption since I first installed the new update,

This is the result for diskutil apfs list"

"APFS Container (1 found)

|

+-- Container disk1 E5BFC1A8-0AFC-426D-90DB-D2A421D734F7

====================================================

APFS Container Reference: disk1

Capacity Ceiling (Size): 500068036608 B (500.1 GB)

Capacity In Use By Volumes: 256804134912 B (256.8 GB) (51.4% used)

Capacity Available: 243263901696 B (243.3 GB) (48.6% free)

|

+-< Physical Store disk0s2 3C474BE5-B32C-46CA-8774-699DB4565B6F

| -----------------------------------------------------------

| APFS Physical Store Disk: disk0s2

| Size: 500068036608 B (500.1 GB)

|

+-> Volume disk1s1 24E1DFAE-E8FF-3D91-B426-1062708AE7BB

| ---------------------------------------------------

| APFS Volume Disk (Role): disk1s1 (No specific role)

| Name: High Sierra (Case-insensitive)

| Mount Point: /

| Capacity Consumed: 253952593920 B (254.0 GB)

| Encryption Progress: 10.0% (Unlocked)

|

+-> Volume disk1s2 94F6C8BF-7BF1-4D81-A2D7-495EF4753706

| APFS Volume Disk (Role): disk1s2 (VM)

| Name: VM (Case-insensitive)

| Mount Point: /private/var/vm

| Capacity Consumed: 2147504128 B (2.1 GB)

| Encrypted: No

|

+-> Volume disk1s3 510ABF08-09D0-451D-860B-3541114242E4

| APFS Volume Disk (Role): disk1s3 (Preboot)

| Name: Preboot (Case-insensitive)

| Mount Point: Not Mounted

| Capacity Consumed: 21676032 B (21.7 MB)

| Encrypted: No

|

+-> Volume disk1s4 D945DADA-D4A6-492D-A1AC-D21C825204B7

---------------------------------------------------

APFS Volume Disk (Role): disk1s4 (Recovery)

Name: Recovery (Case-insensitive)

Mount Point: Not Mounted

Capacity Consumed: 520929280 B (520.9 MB)

Encrypted: No

""

And this is the result for fdesetup status

“FileVault is On.

Encryption in progress: Percent completed = 10”

The filevault page on system preferences says “about 1 minute remaining”

I’m unable to disable filevault in terminal, it just says “FileVault was not disabled” and I’ve tried running that in Recovery mode to no avail. First aid of the disk in recovery mode gives me an error code 78. So far I’ve been unable to find what this means, so if anyone could help that would be great. I’ve re-installed from the recovery disk twice and this has made no difference. It’s not the end of the world, as I have an iMac as my main machine, but this is my only portable Mac and I do use it for work and travel, and having to constantly restart it is a pain! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

You're not the only one. I posted about this on here a few days ago, and when searching for "File Vault" on here see a lot of other threads with people having the same issue. So far no resolution.

I'm not sure my experience is directly the same but when going from Beta 5 to Beta 6 it failed, saying it could not install Beta 6 because the volume (my hard drive) was being decrypted. The decryption was at 99% but would not finish. I tried all manners to abort the decryption without success. Almost all the advice I read said to let it finish. So I waited and four days later it finished. Then everything worked OK.

In my experience with both High Sierra Betas 5 & 6 and a Retina MacBook Pro 13" TB model, I'd stay away from File Vault for now.

1. I performed a clean installation from a USB flash drive and formatted the System volume as APFS (Encrypted). I was prompted for a Disk Password, and upon every reboot was asked to provide this password to first access the disk. I then encrypted the System volume following initial installation with File Vault, which took a few hours but completed successfully. From that point on, I was first asked to enter my Disk password, followed by a second request to enter my User/Admin password at each startup. File Vault did not seamlessly allow for the entry of one password, which I suppose is by design.

2. I next disabled the Guest User Account and restarted. To my surprise, not one but two Guest User account logins were presented in the startup screen! I could never get rid of them.

3. Finally, I changed the default location of my Home folder to a second partition, where I store all my music, documents and video files. I was prompted to restart, but when asked to enter the Disk password after booting, my password was no longer accepted! I tried to access (mount) the System volume from the recovery partition with the same password, but was not successful. So I was forced to reformat the volume as APFS and restore my system from a Time Machine Backup, which thank goodness again allowed me to get back to work!

Same thing happened to me. I was prompted and stupidly said hey why not it must be featured in this beta or something. BIG MISTAKE. I also had "one minute remianing" for two days with enabled and 0% showing in terminal. I was told by many to leave and wait it out, could take a few weeks. I lost paitience with the inability to do any instll anything or updates until it was done (doing nothing).

I reformatted and reinstalled from a backup. I also see a ton of references to File Vault issues in the current release notes. I'll stay clear of FileVault probabbly forever, but definitely until the final release.

I was having the same issue with Public Beta 5. Tried all the stuff that's been suggested.

I think this is what finally did it...patience.

1. Boot in safe mode.

2. Turn off screen saver

3. Set screen to never sleep.

4. Turn brightness all the way down (so as not to damage your screen and let it run overnight)

Same thing happened to me, I just tried StroobyDoo solution and it did relaunch the process that was stuck at 91% for ages, it is now going on (at 93% right now). You can restart your laptop in "classic" mode once the process restarted it you need to (at least it work on mine) as Safe-mode can be a bit restricted.

I am having this same problem with FileVault in High Sierra Beta. I am going to try leaving it on overnight and see what happens.

I have had my mac working on decrypting the hard drive following your instructions for 2 days now. It has not progressed. Any other thoughts?

In macOS Big Sur I found a rather simply trick: Simply cause I/O to an APFS volume which is stuck in partial FileVault encryption. Simply copy a file to that volume and delete it again. That re-triggers the encryption process, where no other method re-triggered it!

With diskutil ap list <YourDiskID>the status of Encryption Progress changed from xx.x% (Paused) (Unlocked) to then xx.x% (Unlocked)

Worked for an external USB 3.1 attached SSD with a bootable volume stuck in initial FileVault encryption while being booted into my internal SSD. A scenario which as of Apple Silicon Macs and macOS 12+ will anyhow not be supported anymore.* But nevertheless I wanted to share my positive workaround. It may also work being "stuck in initial FileVault" encryption in whatever scenario, maybe also when just plainly encrypting the internal disk (SSD) or non-bootable external disks too.

* Read more at: bombich.com/blog/2021/05/19/beyond-bootable-backups-adapting-recovery-strategies-evolving-platform