Mac App store Code Signing EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)

Hello -

We have been trying for the past 2 days to get our Mac App submitted passed through the Mac App review process. We have updated our signing certificates and even created new provisioning profiles for signing and using the XCODE - Organizer to validate and upload to the Mac App store. We confirmed the bundle receipt etc.

However the Mac App store review board keeps on telling us our app is crashing on launch time with the following under 10.12.6 during the review process:

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1

Termination Details: CODESIGNING, When validating /Applications/PDF2Office for iWork 2017.app/Contents/MacOS/PDF2Office for iWork 2017:

Code has restricted entitlements, but the validation of its code signature failed.

Unsatisfied Entitlements:

We are using 10.11.6 and XCODE 7.3.1 but we just dont get it. The App review were able to test the app about 4 days ago and recommend we make some minor UI changes due to Mac App store policies but now its not getting past the startup. Our application has the main App and plug-ins in the plug-ins folder. So why does it crash due to a Code Signing validation saying the signature is invalid?

Are we supposed to build using XCODE 8.3.3 and 10.12.6?

Replies

I just ran into the same problem building with XCode 8.3.3 for 10.11.*

I uploaded a build a few days ago without problems; running into code-signing problems with my latest build after having made no change to provisions/capabilities in my project.

Same on Xcode 8.3.1 for 10.11.

Just to let everyone know, we generated updated distribution profiles and built under 10.12.6 and submitted and it worked I guess. I have no clue why, but seems like there must have been some kind of bug either with XCODE and codesigning under 10.11.x or something changed in Apple's back end which we have no idea about that must have affected code signing recently.

Got the same issue as well. Very minimal bug fix and 2 days later got this rejection even though it launches fine for me. I haven't done anything to my profiles.

Hello,

I'm facing the same issue and they have rejected the app. We did not make any entitlement changes for the released version and they have rejected our app twice. Tried resubmitting by re generating provisioning profile but no luck. Any solution for this rejection?

I have exactly the same problem and couldn't find a way, so far, to fix it. I just made a few changes, submitted my macOS app for review and got it rejected due to the "Code has restricted entitlements, but the validation of its code signature failed." issue. I have no idea how to even debug this. Did others encounter a similar problem and found a fix or at least an approach to debug the issue?

Thanks,

Matthias

I turned off automatic code signing and just generated provisioning profiles in the Member Center for my app. Resubmitted and it was approved.

Heh just had two app updates get rejected again. Looks like the code signing crash is happening at launch (again). So my new provisioning profiles I made only a couple weeks ago aren't working. Really ridiculous amount of time has to be spent on this.

Did you find any solution? We are also facing the same issue.

I can't comment on how to prevent a provisioning profile to break. But if you get your app rejected during App Store review due to a CODESIGNING crash (without having changed anything relevant), you could try the following if you let Xcode manage code signing automatically in your project:

1) Delete all your provisioning profiles in your Apple developer account

2) Rebuild and archive your app

3) Before uploading it to the app store, you are shown the provisioning profile in use. There's a small link next to it. Click it and it shows you a cached version on your local drive in Finder. If the creation date of this one is old, move it (and all other cached provisionining profiles) away, e.g. to the Desktop folder.

4) Cancel the upload to the app store.

5) Rebuild and archive your app again. This time Xcode is forced to create a new provisioning profile and a new upload to the app store should now work.

This fixed the problem for me, but I have no idea why the problems happen in the first place.

== Matthias

I resubmitted 2 new builds. Change the short version number and they passed review.

The only thing I changed is I noticed that somehow the provisioning profiles I set got listed under "Provisioning Profiles" and the "Provisioning Profiles (Deprecated)" areas. I changed the "Deprecated" entry to none in Build Settings. I don't recall ever setting those profiles in the deprecated area in build settings before, not sure if there is some legacy code in Xcode that automatically sets them after making a change somewhere. Anyway, that's the only thing I changed and the new builds passed app review.