How to launch the watch simulator?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I seem to be utterly confused. I am trying to follow tutorials and tried sample / demo solutions... I can get the phone simulator to launch but the closest I can get is for the watch app to say "waiting to attach". What am I missing?

Accepted Reply

Well it does, but you said you wanted the watchOS simulator. If you just want to test your WatchKit app for watchOS 1.0 then do this. When the iOS simulator pops up, in the menu bar click on Hardware > External Displays and Apple Watch should be there. Let me know if this helps.

Replies

It is quite simple, it should automatically attach but if it is not you can do this. Open Xcode > Click on Xcode in the menu bar > Navigate to Open Developer Tool > Simulator (Watch)

ohh... thank you! Guess it's not installed, weird, thought it was part of the new Xcode 6.4.

I only have:

• Instruments
  • iOS Simulator
  • Accessibility Inspector
  • FileMerge
  • Application Loader

Is there some SDK I need to install?

You need Xcode 7 with watchOS 2 SDK

Oh ok. Can we submit apps to the app store from Xcode 7?

No, but you can test your watch app with Xcode 7 to test it on the watch simulator, then just open your project back up in Xcode 6 and submit it.

Cool thanks. I'll give it a try. Still a little confused, really thought Xcode 6.4 had WatchKit support but hopefully Xcode 7 will work.

Well it does, but you said you wanted the watchOS simulator. If you just want to test your WatchKit app for watchOS 1.0 then do this. When the iOS simulator pops up, in the menu bar click on Hardware > External Displays and Apple Watch should be there. Let me know if this helps.

I know I'm opening an old thread, but..

I'm an experienced developer but totally new to Apple/XCode/iOS/WatchOS - I come from a Windows, java, Android, Pebble, javascript, Eclipse, PHP Garmin background.

I have installed XCode 9 in High Sierra in VMWare 12 in Windows 10. It runs VERY slow, but does run!

I have started a watch app with

a Main.storyboard for iOS and

an Interface storyboard in Watchkit

When I run the app, only the phone simulator appears with my app's storyboard.

My question is how to get the watch simulator to run?

I have (I think) downloaded the Sim for Apple Watch 2 running 3.2, but I can't get it to run.

2023 update:

you need to right-click the taskbar icon of the iphone simulator and then go to

device -> iOS 17.0 -> watchOS 10.0 -> CHOOSE YOUR DESIRED WATCH MODEL IN THIS MENU