'Disable Caches' no longer on the Develop menu in Safari 11.0

There used to be a 'Disable Caches' option on the Develop menu, but it's no longer present in Safari 11.0.

It's very useful when developing not to cache the response from web servers. Is this an oversight?

It seems the only option now is to use ⇧⌘R in web inspector.

Accepted Reply

On Apple Release Note on Safari 11.0 there is this point:

Removed the Disable Caches menu item in the Develop menu. The equivalent functionality is now available through Web Inspector’s Network tab.

Then, option was only moved to another section 😉

• This doesn't work, doesn't hold, have to keep going back to the web inspector's network tab to clear cache. Whatever dev thought that was a smart removal needs a good punch in the face. period.

Add a Comment

Replies

I don't know if this worked back in the day, when this was posted, but it certainly doesn't work in Safari 13.0.1.

😠

I checked cache button on network tab (now it's red/orange) and it still not working for some files. Like the CSS in the print below. You can see it's still comming from memory cache.

https://prnt.sc/s7m9hi

Disable cache from within dev tools does not work if a reasource is selected! I dont understand this action. I use chome this property 🙂. PLEASE bring it back as before!

In the comment section on technipage.com it states

Markus says

November 23, 2020 at 3:40 am

For anyone looking into turning cache off this at a later point
of time:

Open
developer tools, go to “Network” tab, and click the small Block icon with a
line through which says “Ignore the resource cache when loading resources” in
the top right corner next to the trash icon.

It worked out for me. For anyone is looking to turn off the cache. Hope it helps.
  • Unfortunately this doesn't help when developing, because it still caches Javascript and stuff extensively. I have to select 'Empty Caches' manually to get that to work (or use Chrome)...

• Same for me unable to develop using a cache in Safari 15. You need 6 sprints to add an option to disable the cache when the dev tools is opened?! I undestand more why Apple saids Safari is the fastest browser ever made

Add a Comment

Apple, you seriously suck. Not only Safari does not follow RFC in some cases. Now you even slow down the "This fix is only for Safari" part of the dev process. OMG

I take 5 years off from web dev to come back to this horse shit of an idea. Who is the developer that thought this was a good idea. **** you.