iMessage has merged 2 conversations of 2 different contacts

Hi all,

I've 2 separate conversations with 2 different contacts (not the same phone number, nothing in commun).

On my MacBook (High Sierra) everything works fine.

But on my iPhone X running iOS 12 beta 3 (since beta 2 I've this bug), these 2 conversations are merged.

When I write to one or another of these 2 contacts, it displays the 2 conversations in one screen. It merges them.

When I try to create a new message, when I enter one of the 2 contacts, I don't know who receive the message, it's not always the same one that receive the message.

That's really annoying.

Does anyone have this issue too?

I filled a bug reporter for that.

Regards,

Alexandre

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Alx Down vote post of Alx
40k views
  • I have had this happen twice and Apple IDs are not shared. It happens only with messages between my daughter and me. My daughter’s phone ends up being merged with a commercial vendor and I get spammed with “we can’t reply” messages. The fix to delete the conversation works but deleting all my texts (even if backed up) is a terrible workaround.

Add a Comment

Replies

Yeah I recently got the iPhone 14 pro and it merged my contacts between my mom and one of my friends... now anytime I text my friend it says my mom's phone number and her contact photo at the top. Anyone else have this issue?

• This is the exact situation I'm having! did you ever get the problem solved?

Add a Comment

This has just happened to me so can confirm is still an issue and none of the fixes seem to be working. Messages between my mum and my boyfriend have been merged and they do not share an apple ID

I am having the same issue on my 11 iPhone plus. I got out of a movie and turned my phone on, and my texts between my boyfriend and one of my friends had merged. Every time I try to text him, it pulls up my text with her instead. I’ve tried everything from deleting both their numbers, block them, add the contact back or unblock, toggle off iMessage, but nothing is working. Is there any update for anyone else?

• Having exact same issue. I can’t text my son’s phone as my info is merging with a friend group chat on his phone. None of the solutions have fixed it. I did however realize I could message him if I chatted in a group chat with my husband and him. HOWEVER, our group chat says a random number was added to our chat and also removed. I never added said number and that same number is in my son’s group chat. Wondering if it’s a correlation? I don’t know how we’d share an Apple ID.

• Did you ever solve this? I am having this exact issue.

• Has this ever been solved? I'm stumped.

Add a Comment

I am having the same problem where I can not text my mother and it always goes to my coworker. One has an iPhone and one has an Android and they have different numbers. I can call them separately. I have tried deleting text messages and contacts and nothing is working. I also do not receive messages from my mother only my coworker. Even if I type in her number to text not the contact it will go to my coworker, not my mom.

• I’m having the exact same issue with an iPhone user and an Android user, have tried all the obvious fixes and it persists. It’s infuriating! How is there still no fix?

• I'm having the same issue with my Mom (iPhone user) & an 888 number. The problem started when she tried to Air Drop me a large # of photos. Since then, I can't message her but I can receive her messages & we can call each other. I can also message her from my Mac. I'm sure she and this random number never shared an Apple ID. I've tried deleting her as a contact & adding back & deleted the thread between us. I restarted my phone and she's done all of these steps. Nothing works.

• I started having the same issue in June 2023. One of my contacts (an iphone user) got added to a thread with my spouse (an android user). Every time i try to text my android user contact, the same iphone contact is added to the thread, and the text doesn't come through to anyone. Nothing seems to fix it. i've wiped my phone and only then texting my android contact got through. restoring data and apps from backup brings the issue back, techs at Apple store stumped. Devs, what's the eta for a fix?

I had this problem this morning. iMessage merged two conversations from two distinct contacts with no history of shared conversation or shared Apple ID.

One contact had been merged from an old Android phone. Somehow, this number got associated in Contacts as a second number for the other contact. Once I sorted that out and corrected the information in Contacts, iMessage sorted itself out.

Posting this here in case it happens to someone else sometime. Maybe you'll find this useful.