Cannot launch 32bit application on 10.14.6 - MobileDevice.framework is x86_64 only

I have customers who cannot launch my 32-bit applications on 10.14. This is music software that uses CoreAudio. This started happening recently after installing iMovie and perhaps some other Apple software. The error is:

-----

dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice

Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudioKit.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudioKit

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice: mach-o, but wrong architecture

-----

Indeed when I open the terminal on the customer's computer and enter "file MobileDevice" I see that it only has 64bit architecture.

On my 10.14.6 system, MobileDevice has 32bit architecure as well.

I am guessing that some recent software installed this library. How can I fix this problem? I am not sure if I can simply copy the MobileDevice.framework from one computer to another.

Thanks,

Andrew

Replies

@NotAHacker exactly. I tried yesterday and it worked for me. So if you give it a try would be nice to hear if sucessful.
@kakaRoth yes.
worked for me on macbook pro 15" late 2011 10.12.6 and iPhone SE 1 iOS 14.1.
@Eckart

Thank you for your reply.

But, can you restore a iOS device ? Or iTunes keeps to ask the framework update ?
Hi everyone,

So, I made a few tests, and I would like to share this with you.

So, after replace the new framework by a old one, my FCPX issue is solved. Now, I just sync my iDevices normaly, just ignore the framework upgrade proposed by iTunes everytime I plug iDevices on iTunes.

It seems to work.
Hi, @kakaroth itunes asked me with the old version to update for syncing. With the patched version no asking. Also backup is working. I did not try restore because my phone is working. In daily routine I need syncing, backup and working with 32 apps, so this is working with the patched MobileDevice.framwork.
@Eckart

Thanks for your reply.

By patch framework, you mean with only the exe file replaced right ?

I replace the all framework file, and it work as I explain, 32bits apps, sync and backup OK, restore also, but need to refuse the update of framework everytime I plug idevices with a cable.
@kakaroth Hi, yes by patched framework I mean with only the exec file replaced. If I replace just the all framwork I can use 32apps, but itunes sync and backup is not working. The small phonesymbol in itunes is not showing up and it asks me to update. So if I regret the update message there is no connection to the iPhone.
Maybe this different behaviors belong to different machines and operating systems.
So everyone can figure out the best solution who fits his needs, starting with exchanging the whole framework and if not working exchanging the exec :)
@Eckart
how do i replace the exec file ?

I've used the directions offered here to copy the old 32-bit mobiledevice framework from a time machine back up. It works to allow Toast 14 to function, however it breaks iTunes with iOS14 on my iPad.

Surprise! Two days ago I got a notification for a software update called "macOS Supplemental Update" explained as "This update resolves an issue with launching certain 32-bit apps." There is no other information or version ID. However it fixes the issue regarding 32-bit Toast and 64-bit iTunes conflict. Digging into the System->Library->PrivateFrameworks path the new copy of mobiledevice.framework is dated 10/29/20. The previous version was dated 9/9/20 and the old working 32-bit version was dated 10/19/19.

So far nothing surfaces from a google search for this particular update however there is a history of other updates with the same name and explanation going back several years for different MacOSes.

I'm running a 2007 iMac, MacOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan), Toast 14, and iTunes 12.8.2.3. Yes, ancient stuff here. Surprised to get any updates other than Xprotect.
I'm not a techie, just a user and have a MacPro mid-2010 that is old but highly functional ... with a few glitches.

Recently, when trying to launch Toast 14, I am getting an error message that is basically the same as what is being discussed here.

I'd do a restore from Time Machine for the file(s) missing or incorrect if I could only remember the last time I used Toast 14 successfully! I've had it installed for years and this is the first time it's glitches out on me.

My machine is running Sierra 10.12.6, and I'm doing doing a lot of System Updates because I don't want to lose the use of the older versions of software I'm currently still using. Never expected one of these 'older' software versions to suddenly glitch out.

What could possibly have been installed on my system (without my knowing about it?) that could cause this disruption?

Here's the pertinent info from Toast Titanium 14:
Exception Type: EXCCRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC
CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x2] Wrong architecture

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudioKit.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudioKit
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice: mach-o, but wrong architecture
from esaruoho:

'So Apple are now shipping i386 and x86_64 mobiledevices that no longer break 32-bit apps.'

I concur! Just updated the software after connecting my iPhone, and the 32 bit app still works. Hoo rah!