How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
238k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

MacBook Pro (16" 2021) M1 Pro running OS 12.4. I have the same issues with popping and crackling. The noise is present on built in speakers, speakers connected to the HDMI output and Bluetooth.

Have tried the following command in terminal and it has no effect.

sudo launchctl stop com.apple.audio.coreaudiod && sudo launchctl start com.apple.audio.coreaudiod

Just like everyone else on this tread, I cannot believe we're still experiencing these issues. Please, Apple, get your act together.

This issue bothers me since purchase. I sent my computer back to apple and got audio hardware replaced. Not helping. Tried Ventura, no luck.

Still exactly the same in Ventura..... possibly worse. might return MacBook Pro m1pro . is useless

In my case, it looked as if 12.6. update helped, cause I hadn't had the issue for a long time. Nevertheless it's still here.

Following this problem I had to totally change my music listening habits. Today, I wanted to listen to music, and I must admit that since this early morning I have not had the slightest crackle (over 6 hours).

Do you also feel a recent improvement of the phenomenon? or is it still there for "everyone" ?

Still a problem on mine. I'm on the beta program so I got Ventura before the general release. This solved the problem for a bit but with the subsequent updates the problem returned. So tired of this...

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

The popping had been reduced drastically before I updated to Ventura. Now I get cracking anytime I use any music on social media. I produce music so you can imaging how annoying this is.

I am using an updated OS: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

• Hello Sunny

There is already an old thread about this issue in the Apple Support Community: Macbook Pro M1 16 inch popping audio. Apple's response to this is to have the computer serviced, which is useless because it happens on all computers of this type and is reproducible behavior.

We post here because our troubleshooting indicates it is a software issue and hopefully someone somewhere will see this and provide a solution.

Add a Comment

Another voice to the chorus, running 12.6 on MacBookPro18,3.

Relevant console message: 3587 HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:222 HALS_OverloadMessage: Overload due to HAL client proc exceeding io cycle budget

This stinks. Please do better, Apple.

I reinstalled everything from scratch without TimeMachine to try and get rid of this problem. I did this on the recommendation of some of the others on this forum and of the Genius Bar people. It was no mean feat as I have a lot of music and development software on my laptop. I initially thought that it had worked as I couldn't hear the glitches, but as I reinstalled some of the software and started working on development stuff again the problem returned. I find that in order to listen to music from the MacBook Pro speakers I need to close most other programs, including Docker, pressumably because it reduces some of the memory pressure. Honestly at my wits end with this.

Same issue on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) M1 Max chip. Luckily this is just my work laptop for programming, but as someone who's produced a ton of music in the past and uses an older Intel MacBook Pro for DJing this is honestly ridiculous Apple. I mean, I'm really telling people who produce music or DJ to not get the latest and greatest M1 laptop because of an issue that's been around for 2 years. Very un-Apple and very sad because the M1 is a ***** in all other regards.

One way to bypass this enormous issue, which unfortunately will only apply to fairly specific use cases, but provide releif for some, is to use the iOS app BitPerfect, the app integrates with iTunes (Music) to ensure bit-perfect playback of audio files. When this app is running and doing it's thing increased CPU load will no longer cause pops and cracks in the audio stream.

Nothing else I've tried has come close to actually fixing the problem.

NOTE:

The app needs some updates, can be buggy on up-to-date OS, can freeze Music and BitPerfect altogether sometimes requiring restart, this seems to occur when switching between audio output devices.

Same issue on the 14'' M1 Pro chip MBP. It's really annoying that MBP always have quality control issues... My last MBP was the notorious butterfly keyboard one.

It's not even annoying or funny anymore. Basically, my M1 Max MacBook is useless now, I can't write music, can't perform music, I had to switch to desktop Windows machine for music production, and MBP is merely a horribly overpriced thing for Safari now. So so so disappointing. Wouldn't buy if knew this would happen.