How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
236k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

This better be fixed in Ventura. Apple you CANNOT ignore over 100k view posts like this, you even have people with logs exactly stating the problem. Get on with fixing this, enoughs enough now.

I am aware that my answer will not bring anything really new. I was thinking about my problem identical to yours, and I wanted to come back here to say that I bought my MBP M1 Pro in December 2021 and my first crackling worries started around February (as far as I remember). I already had 99% of my applications in place. Obviously I don't remember if I installed anything at all the day it happened to me. It worked fine without a hitch for 3 months before I had the problems... and since then it makes me sicker every time (and I don't have the desire or the time to reinstall everything from scratch (which the Genius Bar suggests I do after claiming my MBP's hardware test was flawless).

• Just an FYI, this doesn't help at all. Genius bar re-installed the entire OS on mine and the problem still persisted. Grabbed a new laptop altogether, same problem. Seems likely there are more susceptible laptop speakers / chips and the software intending to prevent the issue only works on the less susceptible ones. At some point, Apple with either have to offer a hardware fix (when they are forced to through a lawsuit or enough bad press) or they'll find a software workaround at some point.

Add a Comment

MacBook Pro M1 Pro. Monterey 12.4, Apple Music

Have the same issue. Internal speakers and in AirPods too.

Lots more folks still having this issue with the new 2022 M1s. It's so bad that the audio for most things is completely useless unless using headphones or bluetooth speakers. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253681560.

Drop $4K, get a POS laptop that Apple doesn't seem to care about fixing because not enough people are having the problem? I can't even play audio consistently without pops and cracks hurting my ears at random. It'd be comical if it weren't just plain sad. I exchanged the laptop and the next one had the same exact problem. Unfortunately, needed a new macbook for dev builds, so I had to keep it. If I was a consumer, I'd return the thing and never buy Apple products again given the level of non-support (which is simply astonishing).

• Yeah, I've had a ticket with them open for about 6 months regarding this with zero actual fixes or anyone genuinely caring beyond just providing general troubleshooting and asking for logs. This is really pathetic. Spent $4,000 on effectively a paperweight because I can't bear to use it when it sounds this terrible. OH AND NO REFUNDS, so I'm just stuck with this thing until they fix it.

Add a Comment

Hi everyone, I think I solved my problem of cracking and popping sounds. I have a MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16 Go RAM (sorry in advance for my english : I'm French :-D

• 1— Everything was working fine with the sound when the MBpro M1 was running the factory version of MacOS. As soon as I made an update to Monterey, BOOM ! The cracking and popping sounds started. I think I try everything described on the internet and nothing solved it really.
  • 2— I try a last thing : starting the Mac without any extensions. The problems with the sound were suddenly gone. So I figured out the problem could be an app running on my Mac.
  • 3— So I started my Mac on normal mode to desactivate manually a few things running in the background. I found that the app "Magnet" could be a troublemaker because the sound problem was not as intense as before suddenly.
  • 4— On that basis, I did an experiment with each software I have : I put music from YouTube in Safari, launch an app and I work with the app for a bit. My conclusion : with softwares that are coded for the Apple Chips (noted "Universal" or "Apple" in the Activity Monitor), there are no sound problem at all. If I open an app coded for Intel (eg : Guitar Pro), the crack/popping sound problem starts at the launch of the app and keep going worst and worst. I can reproduce the same thing with every app that are code for "Intel". So my guess is : the problem appears when an Intel app is going through Rosetta (which is the piece of MacOS that helps Intel app to work on Apple Chip Macs)
  • 5— About the Magnet app : the app is noted as "Universal". My guess is part of the app is largely based on the Intel code (don't laugh people, I'm not really an expert as you guys :-). So it's perhaps going through Rosetta to work on my M1 Mac. So the sound problem never stops when Magnet is opened (Magnet is an app that work permanently in the background).

Everything seems OK since a few days. I will give an update if something new. I hope it helps. Best from Paris.

• Thank you so much fellow Parisian! I just checked all my running apps and identified two Intel ones (Messenger & Toggl Track), quitting them and I no longer hear the scratching noise! Too bad I'm using Toggl Track all the time, but I'll find a workaround

• Hi there. Glad it helped.

• Hi, from Paris too It has already been mentioned here that intel applications can cause memory problems (especially when 16GB Ram). Your suggestion is even more interesting ! so big thanks for your share.

Besides, these 3 processes are irreducible: Core Audio Driver (MSTeamsAudioDevice.driver) Core Audio Driver (Speaker Audio Recorder.driver) CarbonComponentScannerXPC

But I can't find any trace of the Magnet application on my side (in the list of process, I’ve nothing called « magnet »

Same issue...This is a joke, 4k laptop to video editing and is imposible mix any audio. i tried in premiere pro and davinci resolve.

Hi - I registered just to share my workaround as this audio popping issue has been beyond annoying... from my testing using a 3rd party audio driver stops this issue... I installed an app call Boom 3D and all pops are gone in speakers / headphones etc.

Boom 3D is designed to enhance audio output. I have all the app audio enhancement features turned off - as I don't want my audio modified but there are 0 pops when using this audio driver / app.

https://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

They have a trial so test it out if you want.

• This might be the fix! Just installed Boom2 (had it purchased a long time ago for my iMac) and after opening a bunch of heavy apps and pushing RAM to the limit I have no cracks at all! When previously the distortions would appear as soon as the Memory pressure reached amber color.

This looks promising. Will report back in a few days

Thanks, Saajz

• Hi Saajz. I try this at some point but it didn't work long :-( Check my post from 2 days ago : I think I find the problem. I can stop it and I can reproduce it at will. So… It might be the real fix. On my side, everything works fine since days. The good thing : during this sound nightmare, I discovered Boom. Nice Software. Best.

• Yup, can confirm. Boom software does NOT fix the issue... :(

After killing Intel-processes, a couple fsavd-processes were left. They belong to F-Secure, and I'm not sure if I'd like to turn the virus scanner off. Dissapointing F-Secure hasn't made the switch to Apple silicon.

• Yep. You should find an alternative software to this one or decide to live forever with the cracks and pops. :-/

Add a Comment

I have the same problem with a 2021 16" MBP with M1 Max and 32 GB of RAM running Monterey 12.4.

I'm very disappointed that Apple has not fixed this really annoying problem.

@one_mile_up’s solution seems to be the only one that makes sense. Setapp or something has noted the same solution before offering to sell their subscription for an app that would the same thing for you that they suggest.

It’s 3.15am and I’m dog-tired, so I will have to try it tomorrow after work. I have about 12 apps open and nearly 64 tabs on chrome and 15 on Firefox, that’s gotta Ben draining my poor M1 cpu and 16GB ram.

Add a Comment

I am experiencing this issue as well. I have a 2021 MacBook Pro (M1 Pro chip) and running on Monterey 12.2.1

This is really, really annoying considering I edit video for a living. This glitch adds unnecessary time to my edits because I have to constantly replay to make sure the audio is actually OK.

With the price point of these computers this should not be an happening, IMO.

FYI I installed MacOS Monterey 12.5 Beta (21G5046c) and the clicking and popping is still present, and as bad as ever.

I just bought this Macbook Pro 16" 16GB at Best Buy so I am probably going to return it. The sound of that clicking popping every time I do something intensive, like compiling or loading an app, is so horrible. It makes my dog bark.

Model Name: MacBook Pro  Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,1  Chip: Apple M1 Pro  Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)  Memory: 16 GB  System Firmware Version: 7459.140.12.0.1  OS Loader Version: 7459.140.12.0.1

• Check my previous comment. Or check here : https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/708608 (same thing) This should fix your problem.

• Try something run in docker, you will feel yourself like in sound hell :) And no one solution not work for me, will wait m2 pro and switch to that, maybe it's some architecture problems, however in m1 on MacBook Air I don't get that issue

• @Cocochat - thanks but that post says to stop running software that isn't compiled for Apple Silicon. Not all software has an Apple Silicon version. This is a development system for work so I can't just stop running software required for work.

I have the same problem !!! I couldnt fix it with anything !! This are in my logs:

CAReportingClient.mm:508  message {
  "HAL_client_IO_duration" = 16868134;
  HostApplicationDisplayID = "com.ableton.live";
  cause = ClientHALIODurationExceededBudget;
  deadline = 8790888;
  "input_device_source_list" = Unknown;
  "input_device_transport_list" = Virtual;
  "input_device_uid_list" = "GDAudioDevice_UID";
  "io_buffer_size" = 512;
  "io_cycle" = 1;
  "io_cycle_budget" = 12358277;
  "io_page_faults" = 0;
  "is_prewarming" = 0;
  "is_recovering" = 0;
  "issue_type" = overload;
  lateness = 216;
  "other_page_faults" = 13;
  "output_device_source_list" = Unknown;
  "output_device_transport_list" = Virtual;
  "output_device_uid_list" = "GDAudioDevice_UID";
  "safety_violation" = 0;
  "sample_rate" = 44100;
  "scheduler_latency" = 41480;
  "smallest_buffer_frame_size" = 512;
}: (
)

Also in my /Library/Preferences/Audio/com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist I have this strange entry that gets created all the time even when i dont have my pioneer controller there:

<key>AppleUSBAudioEngine:Pioneer DJ Corporation:DDJ-400:-----:1</key>
	<dict>
		<key>controls</key>
		<array/>
		<key>output streams</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>bits per channel</key>
				<integer>24</integer>
				<key>bytes per frame</key>
				<integer>12</integer>
				<key>bytes per packet</key>
				<integer>12</integer>
				<key>channels per frame</key>
				<integer>4</integer>
				<key>format flags</key>
				<integer>12</integer>
				<key>format id</key>
				<integer>1819304813</integer>
				<key>frames per packet</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>sample rate</key>
				<real>44100</real>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
Add a Comment

Here I was able to get the exact moment in the logs of when that POPPING appears. I use Ableton Live, i just load a few tracks (nothing too exhaustive actually). But after some seconds pops start to appear and these are the moments in the log !!

default	14:01:54.418427+0800	Live	 HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
default	14:01:54.436033+0800	coreaudiod	 Audio IO Overload thread: 68c1 inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
default	14:01:54.437464+0800	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:508   message {
    "HAL_client_IO_duration" = 3115172;
    cause = Unknown;
    deadline = 23588928;
    "io_buffer_size" = 128;
    "io_cycle" = 7648;
    "io_cycle_budget" = 3650794;
    "io_page_faults" = 0;
    "is_prewarming" = 0;
    "is_recovering" = 0;
    "issue_type" = overload;
    lateness = 10;
    "other_page_faults" = 0;
    "safety_violation" = 0;
    "sample_rate" = 44100;
    "scheduler_latency" = 640383;
    "smallest_buffer_frame_size" = 128;
)
default	14:01:54.445564+0800	Live	 HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
default	14:01:54.454130+0800	coreaudiod	 Audio IO Overload thread: 68c1 inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
default	14:01:54.454387+0800	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:508   message {
    "HAL_client_IO_duration" = 3021739;
    cause = Unknown;
    deadline = 23590128;
    "io_buffer_size" = 128;
    "io_cycle" = 8;
    "io_page_faults" = 0;
    "is_prewarming" = 0;
    "is_recovering" = 0;
    "issue_type" = overload;
    lateness = 6;
    "other_page_faults" = 0;
    "safety_violation" = 0;
    "sample_rate" = 44100;
    "scheduler_latency" = 658064;
)
default	14:01:54.464004+0800	Live	 HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
default	14:01:54.483710+0800	coreaudiod	 Audio IO Overload thread: 68c1 inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
default	14:01:54.483942+0800	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:508   message {
    "HAL_client_IO_duration" = 3091716;
    cause = Unknown;
    deadline = 23590940;
    "io_buffer_size" = 128;
    "io_cycle" = 5;
    "io_cycle_budget" = 3650793;
    "io_page_faults" = 0;
    "is_prewarming" = 0;
    "is_recovering" = 0;
    "issue_type" = overload;
    lateness = 7;
    "other_page_faults" = 0;
    "safety_violation" = 0;
    "sample_rate" = 44100;
    "scheduler_latency" = 603584;
)
default	14:02:02.545491+0800	Live	 HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
default	14:02:02.554591+0800	coreaudiod	 Audio IO Overload thread: 68c1 inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
default	14:02:02.555490+0800	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:508   message {
    "HAL_client_IO_duration" = 2714929;
    cause = Unknown;
    deadline = 23947336;
    "io_buffer_size" = 128;
    "io_cycle" = 2783;
    "io_cycle_budget" = 3650793;
    "io_page_faults" = 0;
    "is_prewarming" = 0;
    "is_recovering" = 0;
    "issue_type" = overload;
    lateness = 0;
    "other_page_faults" = 0;
    "safety_violation" = 0;
    "sample_rate" = 44100;
    "scheduler_latency" = 827375;
)
default	14:02:02.607587+0800	Live	 HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
default	14:02:02.626005+0800	Live	 HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload
default	14:02:02.632869+0800	coreaudiod	 Audio IO Overload thread: 68c1 inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
default	14:02:02.633066+0800	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:508   message {
    "HAL_client_IO_duration" = 3129329;
    cause = Unknown;
    deadline = 23950060;
    "io_buffer_size" = 128;
    "io_cycle" = 20;
    "io_page_faults" = 0;
    "is_prewarming" = 0;
    "is_recovering" = 0;
    "issue_type" = overload;
    lateness = 14;
    "other_page_faults" = 0;
    "safety_violation" = 0;
    "sample_rate" = 44100;
    "scheduler_latency" = 720936;
)
  • Hi there, check my previous post on this same page. Or check here https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/708608. (it's the same info). It works 100%. If you use Ableton Live 11 (or previous release), it's an Intel App. So you'll have noise. The Ableton Live 11.1 is a Universal App, so it could be source of cracking sound (like the app Magnet I talked about in my post). Now I run only Apple Silicon app and cracks are totally gone.

• I followed your advice and downloaded the Ableton Live 11.1 Intel version (i have an intel mac) and I was using the Universal version. Unfortunately the crackling still continues :(

Add a Comment

I tried many solutions from this thread, (Deleting some plist files, killing Intel apps, using 3rd party equalizer....) but none of them helped. But I think I figured out the exact cause of the problem. (at least on my machine). You can try this to see if it will resolve the problem for you: Open Activity Monitor, go to Memory Tab and check memory pressure graph. If it's in amber color, then you will most likely experience crackling sound from your speakers. If you kill enough apps to bring memory pressure graph back to green, then speakers will work flawlessly. I guess WindowServer process has some memory leak because the longer the laptop stays turned on, its memory usage keeps growing and growing. It can reach even 4-5 GB. Once you logout and login or restart the computer, WindowServer usage drops to only 500MB. That's why restarting computer fixes the speakers issue for few hours. Other processes also might be the culprit. Xcode for example uses ~6GB of memory. If your computer configuration has only 16GB memory then there is not much you can do in killing unnecessary apps. I now regret not buying 32GB configuration. But nevertheless, I hope apple somehow addresses this issue.