Apple ID username or password is "incorrect" while trying to install OS X 10.11

After trying to install OS X El Capitan onto my hard drive, I've come across a problem. When it asks me to sign into my Apple ID I do with the correct information. It then says that my username or password is incorrect. I know this is not the case because I have reset my password and tested it by signing into the App Store on my phone. Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes? Thanks.

• Here is the fix:

When the "invalid password" message is displayed, a 2 factor authentication code appears on another device. Enter the password again and APPEND the authentication code from the other device to the password. The install will continue.

• Appending the code did not work for me.

• Thanks -- very unexpected workaround, but this let me use the App Store while running macOS Yosemite. It was stuck in a loop telling me my password was incorrect but also popping up the two-factor authentication on my phone each time, but never letting me type the code in on macOS.

Replies

No fixes, but I got a similar problem. At first it let me log into my Apple ID, but iCloud Mail won't work for me and it keeps asking me for my password from time to time.

apple ID

then password for the mac

I am getting the same exact error. I was going to install from internet, but my machine wants to install Lion. Not sure what is going on.

Yeah i am having the same problem.

I can sign in alright on my iOS devices, but my Mac can't sign into icloud.

I have experience the following instances:

1) Installed 10.11 onto a machine, which didn't use my icloud account - I can't sign in (Don't have a screenshot for that)

2) Upgraded a machine that was using my icloud as my account and it seems to have signed in, but then whenever I need use an app relying on it I get the following message. (Screenshot 1)

and when I want to see my icloud account details I see this:

Hope this gets fixed soon.

(This post has images, but they do not always seem to load, I will check again in a little while)

(May have to use my TM backup for the time being)

**EDIT**

Just in case someone does not know what I am talking about, here is a link to the images.

For some reason, this forum, does not show them in the final version, but it does when I edit the post.

http://imgur.com/a/einpu

I am restoring from time machine right now because of this problem.

I do not know if this counts as a "fix" but it is a work around.

I did the following:

1) Change your current user account to have a password locally and unlink it from iCloud - so that all the non cloud data stays on your machine

2) Create a new account with an iCloud Password

3) Login to that and everything seems to work.

From this point in you can copy and move files as you see fit.

**The Joys of running beta's**

Same problem here. I just erased the disk and tried instaling from the recovery partition, and it prompts for my Apple ID & pw. Keeps telling me pw is wrong. I turned off two-factor auth thinking that was the problem, no luck. Changed pw 3 times already and each time the installer tells me pw is wrong!

Nevermind. My bad. Found the problem in the release notes. Can't reinstall from recovery. Should have read the intro and not skipped right to the sub sections.

You could try deleting all files from the following folder:

/Users/<YOUR HOME FOLDER>/Library/Application Support/iCloud/Accounts

Then reboot.

This fixed quite a few people's issues surrounding the iCloud preference pane problems with new passwords.

Thank you, this indeed did the trick

Hey, how do manage this, I'm booted with cmd + s but when I try to change the permission its failing ( Sudo chmod 777)

That's didn't work for me :( same Apple ID issue ! I'm stuck

Mine was stubborn, but this solution worked along with a couple of other steps.

1. Log out of iCloud.

2. Set up separate login when prompted to de-link your logins.

3. Delete the /Users/<YOUR HOME FOLDER>/Library/Application Support/iCloud/Accounts folder (The folder was empty, so I deleted the folder itself).

4. Empty Trash.

5. Shut down Mac (Shut Down not Restart).

6. Make a cup of tea.

7. Switch Mac back on.

8. Login to iCloud.

Some of those steps might not be necessary, but it worked.

Hi

I had this same problem and was unable to delete the /Users/<YOUR HOME FOLDER>/Library/Application Support/iCloud/Accounts folder, as I had already erased the hard drive. I could have restored from a Time Machine backup but didn't fancy waiting all that time to restore and erase again!

However, this seemed to work for me:

1. Shut down (not restart) the computer).
  2. Hold down the shift key and switch back on (a safe mode I believe, took a while to load completely).
  3. Try reinstalling OS X as if in Recovery Mode. Apple ID login worked first time.

Hope this helps! For info, I had erased the HD with the 3 factor authorisation (second from top security option).

Dog