Apple ID username or password is "incorrect" while trying to install OS X 10.11

After trying to install OS X El Capitan onto my hard drive, I've come across a problem. When it asks me to sign into my Apple ID I do with the correct information. It then says that my username or password is incorrect. I know this is not the case because I have reset my password and tested it by signing into the App Store on my phone. Anyone else have this problem? Any fixes? Thanks.

Here is the fix: When the "invalid password" message is displayed, a 2 factor authentication code appears on another device. Enter the password again and APPEND the authentication code from the other device to the password. The install will continue. —  PublishNEY 1 month ago 

worked for me

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

This help for me.

Verification code: sends a code to your email or iCloud account for you regenerate your account

This help me a lot before I did all that work

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

still facing this problem in 2022.

@PublishNEY Appending the code worked for me, thanks so much!

Oh my gosh I feel so lucky the lady I talked to on support today knows what to do. If it doesn’t take your password but gives you the 6 digit code to your other device, type in your password followed by the 6 digit code. It’ll work :)

If you're still having this issue I cannot relate. PublishNEY had the correct answer.

Thank you, PublishNEY. I was shocked when that actually worked. :)

The append method worked for me. And funnily enough, the passcode message that appeared on the other device actually does say to append the code to the password. I didn't read the message, and had assumed that it was not relevant since the reinstall Mac didn't ask me for the six numbers the way most Apple things do. So there's that.

Thanks, adding the code at the end worked for me too, godsend!

I have had the same problem when I factory reset my Macbook Air to macos 10.9, but as I had an iPhone Apple was still asking me if I would allow me to log in, although the device was saying the password was wrong. So I learned that it says, that you have to put your password followed by code they give you. Example: *******123456. That did work. I don't know if it should work without another Apple device.

Worked for me. Insanely unexpected solution. Thanks

Apple ID username or password is "incorrect" while trying to install OS X 10.11

Q