Requests to /.well-known/apple-app-site-association

Hi,

we are seeing a lots of requests (thousands per hour) to the URL ourwebsite.com/.well-known/apple-app-site-association - instead of the usual ourwebsite.com/apple-app-site-association. We especially see a significant spike after the Release of iOS 9.3 yesterday and also all requests are coming from iOS 9.3 devices. Looking back in time in our server logs we already had such requests earlierer from iOS 9.3. beta devices.

Is this intended behaviour of iOS 9.3. ? If yes what's the purpose and should we deliver our apple-app-site-association under this new URL as well?

Are other people also see this behaviour?

I also found this stackoverflow post: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34812135/requests-to-well-known-apple-app-site-association. But we are seeing lots of different IPs (not Google) and are not using google App Indexing.

Best,

Florian

Answered by ssheldon in 126206022

We are seeing this behavior as well.

My best guess is that Apple has decided to move the preferred location of the apple-app-site-association file for conformance to RFC 5785. If that's the case, I expect the /apple-app-site-association and /.well-known/apple-app-site-association file behave identically, but haven't confirmed that.

Accepted Answer

We are seeing this behavior as well.

My best guess is that Apple has decided to move the preferred location of the apple-app-site-association file for conformance to RFC 5785. If that's the case, I expect the /apple-app-site-association and /.well-known/apple-app-site-association file behave identically, but haven't confirmed that.

This is correct. The .well-konwn location will be checked first. FYI, the original location for the AASA file has NOT been deprecated, and you don't need to make any changes to your existing (and working) implementation of Universal Links. I would point you to our documentation regarding this, but alas, I can't find it.

Thanks for the info & "official" confirmation!

Would be nice to update the documentation for Universal Links then ;-)

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/AppSearch/UniversalLinks.html

Would be nice to update the documentation for Universal Links then ;-)

Good point. We’re tracking that request as (r. 25,415,375).

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I also see the requests... could you like to share your solution for this case, thank you very much

FYI, we’ve since updated the [formal documentation][docs] to cover the use of

.well-known

I also see the requests...

As explained above, the requests are not, in and of themselves, a problem.

could you like to share your solution for this case

What exactly are you trying to solve here?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

In email you said i can follow my case in here ... what is the next step 😐

In this case , we config six host for universal link.

We can see thousand requests in a min. But we dont have this number of new user.

In email you said i can follow my case in here

To be clear, DevForums is not an official support channel. If you want official support, you should open a DTS tech support incident (providing that support is my day job, although mostly not in this specific technology).

We can see thousand requests in a min.

I’m sorry but I don’t have any insight into that aspect of this technology.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

It seems to be back.

We've seen an increase from 34k to up to 669k requests to GET /.well-known/apple-app-site-association.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot?

Requests to /.well-known/apple-app-site-association

Q