Parallels 15 (Mac): Updating macOS Catalina Beta to Big Sur Beta

When I select the main disk to install to, I get the error message: "The operation couldn't be completed. (BIErrorDomain error 3.)"

Has anyone else experienced this? I wanted to try out the Big Sur beta, but didn't want to risk rendering my daily MBP unusable.

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

@paulr9773, I installed from a DMG. Once you have the Big Sur installer, you can create a DMG as follows:

Code Block
cd ~/Downloads/
sudo hdiutil create -o InstallMedia -size 20G -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE
sudo hdiutil attach InstallMedia.sparseimage -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
sudo /path/to/install.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/install_build
# The next step might fail. If so, manually eject using finder.
sudo hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ */
sudo hdiutil convert InstallMedia.sparseimage -format UDZO -o InstallMedia.dmg
sudo rm InstallMedia.sparseimage

In VMWare, create a new VM and customise, setting the hard drive to at least 60GB. Boot from the install DMG and run disk utility. Select the hard drive and erase as AFPS, then the drive should go from 40GB capacity to 60GB. Then quit disk utility and install.

Replies

Following this issue (login loop) - hoping for a fix!
I'm having some issue updating too, I'm currently using 10.15.6 Beta (19G71a) and when downloading and installing the "Public Beta Test Utillity" from here https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/enroll it says I already have the latest software update. So I'm stuck on how to get Big Sur. Any help?
@Toonetown the login loop is indeed a WindowServer error:

It's funny because I had a Parallels VM with Big Sur working properly. The one that worked was an updated Catalina, I only needed to replace the NVRAM.dat file with Catalina's VM one. But at some point (days) it was affected with the login loop.

Since then I've tried multiple installations and always result in the login loop.

Reply because the login loop - hoping for a solution
I have successfully installed MacOS 11 Beta 4 running on Parallels Desktop Version 15.1.4 (47270). It doesn't experience login loop that many people have experienced. I installed using a VM running MacOS 10.15.6. Im glad it is working on Parallels Desktop app.
Since Parallels announced 16.0 with Big Sur support, you might check out that version and see if it suits your need.

Parallels 16 10.15.6 -> 11.0/10.16 Blank screen after install is a known issue with no resolution.
So weird . Mine run second public beta on Virtualbox . Beside non-upgradeable 4:3 aspect ratio , also I have done the same thing as normal but I get the same problem .